Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
“Pre-meditated, unprovoked” murder gets former journalist a life sentence
Junior Jarvis leaving the High Court on Friday, March 10, 2023 after being sentenced to life in prison for murder
News
March 10, 2023

“Pre-meditated, unprovoked” murder gets former journalist a life sentence

A former journalist was on Friday sentenced to life in prison for a murder the judge said was pre-meditated, unprovoked on the day in question, and for which the convict showed little remorse.

High Court judge Brian Cottle, while handing down his sentence at the High Court in Kingstown said Junior Jarvis showed no remorse while he was being tried for the murder of banker Randy Lawrence, who was killed on February 14, 2017 at Arnos Vale.

As he reflected on the facts of the case, Cottle said there was a “substantial degree of pre-meditation” involved in the murder.

The judge said Jarvis had sufficient time to “cool off” from an encounter he had had with Lawrence the night before the murder. However, Jarvis returned the next morning, parked his vehicle a distance away and returned to where Lawrence’s vehicle was parked.

He said Jarvis took time to pose and photograph himself near Lawrence’s vehicle which had been left at a car park in the vicinity of where an event had been hosted the night before.

Cottle also noted that Jarvis had been prevented by the presence of the police and other persons from carrying out his desire the previous night, and as a result, he returned the next morning to where Lawrence’s car was parked and waited.

The judge said that Jarvis may not have applied for a firearm licence intending to commit murder, but after he received his licence he obtained a gun and he decided to use it.

Cottle said he considered the fact that the offence was committed on a public road in a residential/ commercial district an aggravating factor.

He also noted that there is a church in the immediate vicinity where Lawrence was murdered.

Cottle pointed out that defence counsel submitted that there was no evidence that anyone witnessed the shooting so to have been traumatised by it.

However, the judge said he is of the view that it was entirely possible that other road users who were present could have been injured or killed.

Cottle noted that Jarvis, in his own testimony, said that in the vicinity of where he shot Lawrence he had walked past two men and when Lawrence was shot, he was running in the direction of those two men.

In addition, the Judge said that the offence was committed near a religious institution and it was unprovoked.

Jarvis had told the jury that Lawrence had reached for a gun to shoot at him first, and he tried to avoid confrontation. However, the jury did not believe and they found that Lawrence did not provoke Jarvis on the day of his murder.

The judge said there were no mitigating factors of the offence.

Also working against Jarvis was the fact that he has a previous conviction for assaulting a woman causing her actual bodily harm.

Cottle said while this conviction was seven years before the murder, it shows that the prisoner has a history of committing acts of violence.

There were also no mitigating factors in relation to Jarvis.

The judge said that Jarvis’s expression of remorse was only on the day before sentencing when he addressed the court expressing remorse. However, during the trial he was not remorseful.

“His expression of remorse ranked hollow to me as he seems to still not accept the responsibility for his actions…” the judge said.

In handing down his sentence, Cottle said paragraph four of the sentencing guidelines states that where the offender was an adult when he committed the offence, the appropriate starting point is a whole life sentence.

No upward adjustments in the sentence were made as a life sentence was determined for the starting point.

There were also no adjustments for an early guilty plea and while Jarvis has already spent five years and 11 months on remand this will not be deducted from his sentence as this is only done if the starting point is a determinate sentence.

Jarvis who is now 50 years old will be eligible for a review of his sentence after he has served 30 years.

At that time, he will be brought back to the court to be accessed as to whether he is sufficiently rehabilitated to be released from prison. If he is deemed not sufficiently rehabilitated, he will be re-evaluated after a further three years.

Jarvis was found guilty of the murder of 39-year-old Randy Lawrence on November 28, 2022 after a 12-member jury of four men and eight women returned guilty verdicts after three hours of deliberation.

Apart from murder, Jarvis was also unanimously found guilty on six other charges by the jury.

For one charge, that of attempting to murder Arisha Pompey, the jury did not reach a unanimous decision, but by a 11-1 decision Jarvis was found guilty.

He was sentenced on the other charges which will run concurrently with his life sentence.

He was sentenced to 18 years and nine months for using a firearm to commit murder.

He was also sentenced to 21 years for the attempted murders of Josette Smith and Arisha Pompey.

In addition, he was sentenced to two years and six months for abducting Arisha Pompey and five years for assaulting her and causing her actual bodily harm.

Additionally, he was sentenced to 15 years for aggravated burglary after he entered the home of Josette Smith as a trespasser with a firearm.

The case was prosecuted by Director of Public Prosecutions, Sejilla McDowall, Crown Counsel Renee Simmons, and Richie Maitland.

Jarvis was defended by  Kay Bacchus-Baptiste and Ronnia Durham-Balcombe

 

 

 

{"carousel":"Carousel"}
  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Front Page
    Vincentian Kemarlie Durrant honored with MCU outstanding youth award in Taiwan
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    KEMARLIE DURRANT STOOD out as the only international student honoured among the 12 recipients of the 2026 Ming Chuan University Outstanding Youth Awar...
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Front Page
    Vincentian Nurse stands out in Barbados
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A VINCENTIAN ON the nursing team at the The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Barbados, has been named Nurse of the Year as the hospital celebrates Nursing ...
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Front Page
    Spiritual Baptists arrive early to celebrate Liberation Day
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    ARCHBISHOP CHARLIE BLACKMAN from the Rock of Ages Evangelicals Spiritual Baptists of Barbados, along with many of the faith’s practitioners arrived in...
    Lawyer to take action on behalf  of accused  police officers
    Front Page
    Lawyer to take action on behalf of accused police officers
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE DECISION by the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF) to suspend without pay, officers who are accused of crimes, has attracte...
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Front Page
    Government looking at permanent fix for Grenadines housing and water problems
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT said that plans are underway to deal with the housing issues in the Grenadines, as well as the water problem that has been plaguing the...
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Front Page
    Nadia Slater’s alleged attacker remanded for a third time
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CLARE VALLEY MAN, who is alleged to have attempted to murder Nadia Slater, the Acting Director of the Agency for Public Information (API) was rema...
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    News
    Public servants were fettered under ULP, says PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    PUBLIC SERVANTS under the Unity Labour Party (ULP) administration were not given the freedom to do their jobs property, Prime Minister (PM) Dr. Godwin...
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    News
    Former PM thanks God that NDP didn’t boycott Spiritual Baptist Bill
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves has reminded the general public that the New Democratic Party (NDP) now in gov...
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    News
    Agro-processors address constraints in the sector at Forum
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    THE CENTRE for Enterprise Development (CED) brought together agro-processors, entrepreneurs, policymakers, financiers and other stakeholders on Tuesda...
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    News
    Calypso tents to blast off next week
    Webmaster 
    May 22, 2026
    A NEW CALYPSO tent will be part of this year’s Vincy Mas Great Escape, when the tents begin to present their casts for the 2026 carnival season on Tue...
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    News
    Former PM accuses NDP of taking credit for ULP initiatives
    Webmaster 
    May 15, 2026
    FORMER PRIME MINISTER of St Vincent and the Grenadines, and Leader of the Opposition, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves is accusing the New Democratic Party( NDP) a...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok