Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Banned footballer remorseful about assaulting referee
Shemorie Baptiste
Front Page
November 25, 2022

Banned footballer remorseful about assaulting referee

Shemorie Baptiste, the Greiggs FC player, who received a three- year ban for assaulting a referee, has expressed remorse for his actions.

The Disciplinary Committee of the St Vincent and the Grenadines Football Federation (SVGFF), handed down the penalty on Baptiste for striking referee, Rohan Primus in the face during a Division One game between Greiggs FC and SV United in the National Club Championships at the Chili Playing Field on November 6.

This infraction led to his subsequent 36 months ban from all football activities under the aegis of the SVGFF, and his team was also fined $1,000 and placed on conditional suspension for the remainder of the 2022/23 National Club Championships.

In an interview with SEARCHLIGHT, Baptiste said that since the incident, he has reflected on his action, and is “sorry”.

Reflecting on the incident, Baptiste admitted that it was a case of a rushing of blood on his part.

“I was very angry… I was so depressed… I didn’t even know what fly up in my head”, Baptiste said.

The embattled footballer believed that it could have been the state of the match, in which Greiggs was trailing SV United, 2-3, when he inexplicably sought to “box” Primus in the face.

“ I never liked the thing…I always wanted to make an apology to the referee (Rohan Primus)”,Baptiste told SEARCHLIGHT.

He revealed that he went as far as seeking out Primus’ contact number, to express his regret.

“ I tried calling him [via WhatsApp], I know that even though I face some consequences, I want to let him know that I never meant to hurt him and I am really sorry and it will never happen again”, Baptiste added.

However, the banned player said he never got a response from Primus, but reiterated, “ I just want him to forgive me”.

When SEARCHLIGHT contacted Primus, he acknowledged that attempts had been made to contact him via WhatsApp.

“ His mother reached me couple times by texts and voice notes, but not face to face… She was trying to find out how I was doing all these things, how I was feeling… I have all the texts on the phone that she tried to reach me, but I never responded,” Primus admitted.

Primus reasoned that at the time he was not in the frame of mind to discuss the matter, hence there was never dialogue between them.

The referee said however, that he is willing to accommodate Baptiste in a face to face apology, noting , “If he come to me as a man…He doesn’t have to call me on the phone, because calling me on the phone, I won’t know who I am talking to.”

He further pointed out that even though he forgives Baptiste, the matter is in the hands of the police.

Primus acknowledged that any further actions to be taken against Baptiste, is his personal choice.

“ People calling me from all over the place, to press charges against him, but I am my own man,” Primus stated.

Since the incident Baptiste, who confessed his love for sports, but has a greater affinity for Football, said he remains disappointed with himself for his actions on that day.

Apart from the 36 months ban, Baptiste is required to participate in prescribed remedies of the Disciplinary Committee as a condition to resume his football career.

And, in addition to the fine and conditional suspension against Greiggs FC, the Club also has to reimburse Primus for his medical expenses incurred as a consequence of Baptiste’s action.

RELATED ARTICLE: Referees Association threatens to withdraw its services from Club Championships

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok