Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
All Stanford plans put on hold
Sports
February 20, 2009

All Stanford plans put on hold

Several of the plans of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Cricket Association have to be put on hold, as one of its targettted financiers, Sir Allen Stanford, was charged last Tuesday by the US regulators over an alleged multi-billion dollar fraud.{{more}}

Among those on hold are an extensive training programme mainly focusing on the Under-15 cricketers, the building of concrete strips at Union Island, Sion Hill and Cane End and the construction of an indoor net facility.

This revelation of the disruption of these plans was made last Wednesday afternoon to SEARCHLIGHT by President of St. Vincent and the Grenadines Cricket Association Julian Jack.

Counting these as serious blows to his Executive’s programme, Jack said: “We will not be able to do such things as we had planned right now and they must be shelved for the time being, but cricket will go on”.

Jack stated that his Association receives US$15 000 per month as monies promised from agreements made by the Stanford Grouping with 19 regional Cricket Boards in 2006.

“We have two months outstanding, and if you check in the capital project which is $100 000, you can say about US $130 000 is outstanding,” Jack confirmed.

Jack told SEARCHLIGHT that initial capital funds which were to be spent on the Buccament Playing Field were used on other smaller projects, after approval from the Stanford grouping.

The Cricket President said that his Executive had put forward its quarterly submission for this year’s budget in January, but were told that they had to be put on hold, as there could not be a commitment from the Stanford grouping.

“We were also forewarned not to spend monies in hand unless they had been approved,” Jack added.

A former Windward Islands chief selector, Jack stated that despite the present uncertain climate, “We just have to play it by air and hope that the matter can be resolved soon, or hope that another sponsor comes along”.

Jack, however, was high in praise for the Stanford initiative, as according to him, “We cannot complain about Stanford’s input, as it has brought back some renewed interest in cricket, especially the shorter form of the game. He has taken it to another level.”

“Our players have benefitted financially, and they have seen how to work for their money and how to play the game at a higher level and under high pressure,” he concluded.

The Securities and Exchange Commission filed a complaint in a Dallas court last Tuesday against Stanford and three of his companies, alleging that about US $8 Billion of so-called certificates of deposit were sold to investors by promising improbable and unsubstantiated high interest rates.

The charges follow a recent probe by United States financial regulators into the operations of the Stanford Group and Stanford International Bank.

Stanford in 2006 staged the first regional 20/20 competition, in which the winning team collected US$1 million. The competition was repeated last year.

But in November of last year, he staged the US$20 million match between the Stanford Superstars and England, which was deemed the biggest ever cash prize for any sporting event.

Late last year, Stanford closed his Twenty20 office in Antigua, abandoned his team of legends and announced a review of his cricket operations.

Meanwhile, former longstanding president of the local cricket board and the Windward Island Cricket Association Lennox John said that Stanford’s saga is “a sad thing.”

John told SEARCHLIGHT that he is more concerned about what Stanford’s financing could have done for grass-root cricket development rather than his 20/20 push itself.

Meanwhile, the whereabouts of the Texan billionaire Allen Stanford remained a mystery up to press time even as hundreds of anxious Antiguans yesterday rushed to withdraw their savings from branches of the financier’s Bank of Antigua.

Hundreds formed lines that stretched outside of the bank into the street of the Antigua and Barbuda capital as panic gripped depositors one day after the tycoon was charged with $8 billion dollars in fraud by the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

“People have to come to get their money,” said Rasta Kente, an electrician who joined a line that stretched around the corner at a downtown bank branch. Three security officers allowed only a few people to enter at a time.

One major US television network CNBC, reported that the 58-year-old financier had approached a private jet company seeking to get a one-way flight out of the United States into Antigua.

Citing an unnamed source in the private jet industry, CNBC reported that Stanford contacted a jet owner on Tuesday and attempted to pay for for the flight with a credit card, but was refused because the company would only accept a wire transfer.

The report did not identify the state that Stanford was in at the time although initial reports had suggested that the financier was in the the US Virgin island of St Croix on Tuesday when the fraud charge was made.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    No new taxes in 2026 Budget
    Front Page
    No new taxes in 2026 Budget
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE New Democratic Party administration, in its 2026 Budget is seeking to take St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) from a state of recovery, to one of...
    Opposition Leader rubbishes 2026 National Budget
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader rubbishes 2026 National Budget
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has rubbished the 2026 Budget presented by Prime Minister, Dr. Godwin Friday stating that it is inadequate. Th...
    Wanted man shot by police
    Front Page
    Wanted man shot by police
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE POLICE have shot and captured a man said to be a person of interest in relation to a number of incidents. In a release issued on Thursday, Februar...
    Government proceeding ‘in total transparency’ with CBI – PM
    Front Page
    Government proceeding ‘in total transparency’ with CBI – PM
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE New Democratic Party government will fulfil its election promise by implementing a Citizenship by Investment programme (CBI), now that it has been...
    Public Debt, a constraint, says new administration
    Front Page
    Public Debt, a constraint, says new administration
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    PRIME MINISTER, Dr. Godwin Friday, has raised concerns about “the massive public debt” of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). He said in Parliament o...
    Senator John says he’s no product of the education revolution
    Front Page
    Senator John says he’s no product of the education revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE UNITY LABOR PARTY’S (ULP) ‘Education Revolution’ has been given a failing grade by government Senator and Deputy Speaker of the House of Assembly,...
    News
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    News
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE 2026 PROGRAMME of activities to celebrate National Heroes and Heritage Month was unveiled at a media launch on Tuesday, February 10, 2026 at the U...
    Airports targeted for upgrades and expansion
    News
    Airports targeted for upgrades and expansion
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    TOTAL OF $62 million is allocated in the 2026 Budget, for airport development across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). Word of this came from Prime...
    Intervention planned to combat poor Math results in schools
    News
    Intervention planned to combat poor Math results in schools
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE NEW government in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), is on a mission to change how Mathematics is taught, with the hope of getting better result...
    Some persons surviving on $10 a day says PM
    News
    Some persons surviving on $10 a day says PM
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    SOME PERSONS IN St Vincent and the Grenadines are surviving on $10 per day. This was highlighted by Prime Minister Dr Godwin Friday, during his Budget...
    Geothermal wells may be capped by new government
    News
    Geothermal wells may be capped by new government
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    WELLS WHICH WERE dug in the northern part of mainland St Vincent as part of a geothermal project under the ULP administration, are now said to be emit...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok