Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
News
May 14, 2010

Mas bands boycott launch

Carnival 2010 has just begun, and already controversy has surfaced, with the refusal of Mas Bands to make an appearance at last Saturday’s launch of Vincy Mas.{{more}}

Hugh Raguette, Chairman of the CBA, said that the decision by the bands not to appear at the launch was made in solidarity with Beautex International Mas band, which had been denied permission to take part in the launch.

Ashford Wood, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Carnival Development Corporation, explained that because of cost and time constraints, an early decision had been made to have only eight Mas Bands make an appearance at the launch last Saturday, May 8.

The fees agreed by the CDC for Mas Bands making an appearance at the launch are $800 for sections and $400 for individuals.

The CEO said, however, that at subsequent meetings held with the Carnival Bands Association (CBA), a request was put forward by the CBA for an additional band to make an appearance, which would then have brought the number to nine. This request was agreed, Wood said.

According to Wood, a last minute request for the appearance of a tenth band was denied as the CDC was looking to cut costs.

That tenth band, which was denied permission to appear, was Beautex International. In protest of the CDC’s decision, the CBA decided that none of the bands would take part in last weekend’s launch.

“The Mas Bands felt as if all should participate under the same terms and conditions,” Raguette told SEARCHLIGHT.

“The idea was not to cause confusion,” he added.

“We felt as if we were being placed in an untenable position.”

However, Raguette said that the band leader of Beautex had no qualms about not getting an appearance fee.

This position of the CBA was put to the CDC in writing in a letter dated May 5.

The letter stated that “the CBA’s position as decided by the thirteen established Costume Bands is that if one cannot be paid appearance fees, then none should.”

He further said that his organization was not accusing the CDC of holding malice against any one Mas Band.

Mas Bands scheduled to put up exhibition booths at Heritage Square last Saturday also boycotted that event in support of the decision.

Melbourne Artisans was the only Mas Band to cross the stage at last week’s show.

The boycott by the bands sparked rumours suggesting that the CDC’s decision not to allow ten Mas Bands to appear was because of an unresolved issue between Carnival’s governing body and Beautex International, the tenth mas band which had expressed an interest in making an appearance at last Saturday’s launch.

Wood refuted this claim and explained that the decision was based simply on cost and time

factors.

According to Wood, the rumours stemmed from what took place last year when funding was allocated to Beautex International to take part in Vincy Mas, but they did not make a presentation.

Beautex International had been granted funding of $3,000.

“The issue with Beautex International came up, but this has nothing to do with Pearl (Williams),” Wood told SEARCHLIGHT.

“That is a separate issue,” he said.

Band leader of Beautex International Pearl Williams refused to comment on the matter when contacted by SEARCHLIGHT. (DD)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Front Page
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Rajah Caruth, professional NASCAR Driver and Sporting Ambassador for St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), got a warm homecoming when he arrived on We...
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Front Page
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Infectious disease specialist Dr. Jerrol Thompson has said the drug-resistant bacterium, Carbapenem-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii (CRAB), recently...
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Front Page
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    The manner in which the prize money for components involved in VincyMas competitions 2026 was distributed has left a bitter taste in the mouth of some...
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Front Page
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Mohandus “Bobby” Martin is hoping to carve out a niche in the St Vincent and the Grenadines’s (SVG) beverage market by introducing an affordable Europ...
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Front Page
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Reports that Layou resident Renold “Bagga” Quashie was stabbed and killed seems not have been the correct conclusion, a relayed by a friend who referr...
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Front Page
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Twenty new students have been added to The Basil Charles Educational Foundation (BCEF) Scholarship programme, which this year celebrates 30 years. The...
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth  excited to  create new  memories of SVG
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth excited to create new memories of SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Professional NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth received a hero’s welcome in Barrouallie yesterday, August 13,2026 returning to his roots during an emotional ...
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    News
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    With Artificial Intelligence (AI) becoming increasingly advanced and accessible, Chief Executive Officer of the National Centre for Technological Inno...
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    News
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Former Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), Aviar Charles recently reflected on her journey to the crown while encouraging the St. Vincent and th...
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok