Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Child burns to death in Rabacca house fire
Front Page
August 23, 2011

Child burns to death in Rabacca house fire

Conflicting stories have emerged following the death of a six-month-old infant in a house fire at Rabacca last week.{{more}}

Vanesha Baptiste, the mother of the child called Carlson, said that she left the deceased and his two-year-old brother Keavin in the care of two men at a neighbor’s house, while she went into Georgetown to pick up something to eat on the night of Wednesday, August 17.

On Sunday, August 21, as SEARCHLIGHT visited the scene, the 18-year-old woman related that after being encouraged to go get some food, she asked a few of her acquaintances to keep an eye on the children until she returned, since she did not want to leave them alone at her home.

“About 11:58 pm, me and me cousin been feeling hungry, so we decide we go buy piece ah fried chicken. My cousin tell me come leh we go and me say who me go leave me kids dem with?

There was four guys there and all of them was from the same neighbourhood and all of we are friends; so I ask them if they go just watch them for a two hours, so I could get piece ah chicken and come back. Them say yes.”

Baptiste said that she took her children from where they lived and took them to the nearby home of one of the men.

She said he also took a half of candle with him and put it on a shelf.

The young mother said that she then returned to her home, got dressed and after heading out, she returned to retrieve her money, then finally left with her cousin.

According to Baptiste, when she decided to return home alone, she was intercepted by some men who forced her to return to Georgetown.

When she finally decided to head home, this time with her cousin and another friend, she was greeted with the news that the house that her children were sleeping in had burned down.

“By the time I reach, the whole thing burn flat.”

Indications are that the two-year-old child, who reached that age last Saturday, managed to escape the burning house unharmed, and attempted to wake the men who were asked to watch him, who were asleep at a nearby house.

By the time the men were able to mobilize, the house was already destroyed and Keavin’s brother was dead.

The young Baptiste says that she is very hurt by the loss of her child and wonders if more could have been done to save him on the fateful night.

She also denied what she dismissed as rumours and speculations that she had left the children to attend karaoke in Georgetown.

“I didn’t go to any karaoke; all I went to do is get some chicken. I did not leave them alone.

I want to know if they (the men) didn’t smell nothing. If they know they wasn’t going to watch the kids, they coulda just say. I think they could have saved him.

I don’t know what I am going to do now. Only God one knows.”

However, persons who say that they were present before and after the fire are contradicting Baptiste’s story.

One individual claimed that at the time Baptiste left home, she was intoxicated.

The individual also alleged that one of the men who was asked to supervise the children was already drunk and was in no position to look after himself, much less another person.

SEARCHLIGHT understands that the men were enticed with alcohol and cigarettes by Baptiste, to look after the children.

Other neighbours were more sympathetic to Baptiste’s plight though, saying that although the tragedy could have been avoided, they felt sorry for the way the baby lost his life.

Boville McBarnette and Christopher Blake, speaking to SEARCHLIGHT, said that the death of baby Carlson was hard on them.

“When I hear the thing, me heart skip a beat. Everybody love the baby; he was a nice baby, very full of life,” McBarnette claimed. “The way it take place is a hard, hard situation.

“Everybody here love the baby. I wish we were here, then we could have helped.” Blake added.

Meanwhile, Joel Williams, the owner of the two-room property that was destroyed, said that he lost everything in the fire, including his clothing, furniture and appliances, and that he did not give anyone permission to use his home, which he shares with his daughter, son and grandson.

“I didn’t send anybody here; they bring children in my place with candle and burn down my place.

“Now I don’t have nowhere to live; I have to beg a lodging with my son.

Everything gone. Everything burn. Now I need help.”

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Front Page
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    THE PEOPLE SPOKE emphatically in Thursday’s general elections in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG)propelling the New Democratic Party (NDP) into the...
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Front Page
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A MAMMOTH CROWD thronged the Arnos Vale 2 Playing Field for the ‘Come Home Labour Family’ rally of the Unity Labour Party (ULP) as it closed out the 2...
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Front Page
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    “THE WIND OF change is blowing throughout this land,” declared Dr Godwin Friday, leader of the New Democratic Party. He was speaking at the party’s cl...
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Front Page
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    VOLUNTEERS UNDER THE auspices of the National Monitoring and Consultative Mechanism (NMCM), who have been monitoring the general elections campaign, h...
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Press Release
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    EVEN BEFORE his swearing in as prime minister, regional leaders have been sending messages of congratulations to Dr Godwin Friday on the victory of hi...
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    News
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    BY GRACE FRANCIS WITH A VIEW to setting foot in every country in the Caribbean, online educator, Kerwin Springer, of Trinidad and Tobago paid a visit ...
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    News
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    LEADER OFTHE Unity Labour Party (ULP), Dr Ralph Gonsavles, and leader of the New democratic Party (NDP), Dr Godwin Friday both went to constituencies ...
    Sir Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    News
    Sir Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A PRESENTATION BY Vincentian artist, Sir Calvert Jones at the 10th Inter-American Meeting of Ministers of Culture and Highest Appropriate Authorities ...
    From the Courts, News
    Teenage thief activates $900 bond, sent to prison
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A TEENAGER, who used another person’s vehicle without permission and was bonded in the sum of $900, is now imprisoned for four months for stealing fro...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok