Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Charges not an abuse of process – Magistrate
From the Courts
January 10, 2014

Charges not an abuse of process – Magistrate

An application by lawyers for Opposition senator Vynnette Frederick, that nine charges against her be dismissed, has been turned down.{{more}}

On Wednesday, at the Biabou Magistrate’s Court, Magistrate Rickie Burnett dismissed an application by Frederick’s lawyers, who had argued that the charges against Frederick were unlawful, because she had previously been acquitted of the same charges. They also claimed that bringing the charges again, amounted to an abuse of process.

As a result of Wednesday’s ruling, the substantive matter, in which Frederick is facing nine charges, will be given a commencement date, following the decision by the Court of Appeal in another matter pertaining to the case.

That pending matter has to do with a decision made by Burnett in July 2013, which has been appealed by the prosecution. At that time, Burnett dismissed six charges brought against Frederick, on the grounds that the charges were defective.

In his ruling on Wednesday, Burnett said, “In making my findings and arriving at my conclusion, I have taken consideration of all the facts and circumstances in the case and have perused all the submissions of counsel.”

According to Burnett, when he discharged Frederick, after striking out the charges on submission, that was not an acquittal, since there had been no final adjudication in the matter.

Therefore, the magistrate said, bringing fresh charges against Frederick was a proper exercise of the statutory powers of the Director of Public Prosecutions, and did not amount to an abuse of process.

“I hold further that there are enough safeguards in the judicial system to ensure a fair trial of the accused. And if any issues of prejudice and unfairness arise, those are matters which would be properly addressed at the trial,” Burnett said.

The matter was adjourned sine die, pending the Court of Appeal’s decision in the pending matter.

After Burnett’s ruling, Frederick, who had been sitting on a chair in the dock, smiled, got up from her seat and walked out of the courtroom with her legal team.

Shortly after the ruling, defence attorney Keith Scotland said the legal team will explore their options when they have the magistrate’s written decision in their possession. Andrew Pilgrim, another member of Frederick’s defence team, said they will be able to respond to the ruling as early as next week. He noted that they look forward to hearing about the appeal, which he said is expected to be served on them soon.

“So, all these things are pending. We are just awaiting an opportunity to deal with those and make our submissions,” he told reporters.

Meanwhile, Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Colin John said the defence’s application was “baseless” and that the law had been correctly applied.

“I was always confident that I was going to succeed… I know the decision would have gone in my favour. I really think that the magistrate did the correct thing,” John said. John said the decision to prosecute was based on the code for prosecutors, and he thinks there is sufficient evidence to support and sustain the charges.

Frederick faces nine charges, which were brought against her in July 2013, hours after she was discharged in relation to six similar criminal charges at the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court.

The first six of the nine charges were brought under Section 96 of the Criminal Code, Chapter 171 of the Revised Edition of the Laws of SVG 2009, and are similar to the six she faced previously, except that they include particulars.

The charges are that she made a false declaration and swore falsely to a private criminal complaint on January 10, 2011, on May 23, 2012 and on June 16, 2011, under circumstances that the false declaration, if committed in a judicial proceeding would have amounted to perjury.

The three additional charges are that on January 10, 2011, May 23, 2012 and on June 16, 2011, at Kingstown and within the first magisterial district, with intent to mislead the court, Frederick fabricated evidence.

The charges all have to do with comments she alleged that Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves made on August 29, 2010 at Park Hill.

The last three charges were brought under section 101(a) of the Criminal Code, Chapter 171 of the laws of SVG 2009.

Present at the court on Wednesday in support of Frederick were Oppostion Leader Arnhim Eustace, lawyer Maia Eustace, member of Parliament for West Kingstown Daniel Cummings, Frederick’s father, Bayliss Frederick and other members of her family.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Front Page
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Rajah Caruth, professional NASCAR Driver and Sporting Ambassador for St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), got a warm homecoming when he arrived on We...
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Front Page
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Infectious disease specialist Dr. Jerrol Thompson has said the drug-resistant bacterium, Carbapenem-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii (CRAB), recently...
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Front Page
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    The manner in which the prize money for components involved in VincyMas competitions 2026 was distributed has left a bitter taste in the mouth of some...
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Front Page
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Mohandus “Bobby” Martin is hoping to carve out a niche in the St Vincent and the Grenadines’s (SVG) beverage market by introducing an affordable Europ...
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Front Page
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Reports that Layou resident Renold “Bagga” Quashie was stabbed and killed seems not have been the correct conclusion, a relayed by a friend who referr...
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Front Page
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Twenty new students have been added to The Basil Charles Educational Foundation (BCEF) Scholarship programme, which this year celebrates 30 years. The...
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth  excited to  create new  memories of SVG
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth excited to create new memories of SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Professional NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth received a hero’s welcome in Barrouallie yesterday, August 13,2026 returning to his roots during an emotional ...
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    News
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    With Artificial Intelligence (AI) becoming increasingly advanced and accessible, Chief Executive Officer of the National Centre for Technological Inno...
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    News
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Former Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), Aviar Charles recently reflected on her journey to the crown while encouraging the St. Vincent and th...
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok