Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Prosecution withdraws case against murder accused
Viv Simon was charged with causing the death of Errol Sutton
From the Courts
December 6, 2019

Prosecution withdraws case against murder accused

Viv Simon, previously accused of the 2016 shooting murder of a 75-year-old man, walked away from the High Court this Wednesday a free man, following the prosecution’s decision to discontinue the case.

Simon was 36 years old when he was charged with causing the death of Errol Sutton, who was shot to death in Stubbs in 2016.

Since being arrested and charged that year, the accused man has been the subject of a preliminary inquiry at the lower court, and was then sent to the High Court to plea and stand trial for the offences of murder and possession of a firearm with intent.

Errol Sutton (deceased)

Because persons accused of murder do not under normal circumstances receive bail, Simon has been on remand, in prison, since 2016.

This Tuesday, December 3, the trial against him finally began, with Justice Brian Cottle presiding, crown counsel Rose-Ann Richardson prosecuting, and defense attorney Ronald Marks defending.
The jury heard evidence from six prosecution witnesses before the crown chose to enter a nolle prosequi in relation to the case.

The case for the crown was that there was an ongoing land dispute between Sutton and another family. The disputing parties had lands, located in Stubbs, which were sharing boundaries.

On October 11, 2016, the day he died, Sutton went to clear the land, and was accompanied by his great nephew. While they were there, Simon and another, named ‘Ziggy’ came onto the land with cutlasses. Simon is said to have looked on while his companion attacked Sutton. Sutton was wounded from this encounter, and went to the police to report the alleged incident. He went to the doctor, and on his way back to the police station, he was met by his niece. The two were walking, and apparently passing the house of ‘Ziggy’, at which time Sutton was saying that he can’t believe they attacked him, and he told his niece that he was going to follow the matter up with the police. The police were told that what happened after this was that ‘Ziggy’ handed a gun to Simon, and Simon approached Sutton, and shot him three times.

Sutton died before reaching a nearby clinic, succumbing to gunshot wounds to his face, shoulder, and left chest.

However, it is said that different and contradictory accounts of evidence was given by the main prosecution witness in the case. She had first given the police a statement claiming that the gunman had a jersey over his face. However, during the preliminary inquiry she said that assailant was wearing no mask, which prompted her to say to him “don’t bother run, I done see you.”The witness also said that she cried out. However, those nearby testified that they heard her screams, but that she never called a name.

Furthermore, this eye witness died from natural causes on June 19 this year. Therefore, her evidence could only be read in court, and could not be tested through cross examination by the defense.

“It is the right and honourable thing for the prosecutor to do when they have a case that is so fundamentally weak,” attorney Marks stated this Wednesday, after his client was freed.

Coupled with the fact that the witness was deceased, and incapable of being cross examined, there were “a lot of inconsistent statements made by the deceased witness and that in itself would make it unsafe to put a case like that to the jury,” the lawyer informed.

The lawyer who has been with the case since the beginning, told SEARCHLIGHT, “justice demands that you don’t persecute.”

“You supposed to be a prosecutor, not a persecutor,” he noted, “…So if you don’t have sufficient evidence, as it was in this case, they(the crown) would have to do that.”

As for his client, the lawyer disclosed, “He’s elated…He’s been there (prison) since 2016 and he’s always maintained his innocence….As you would expect he’s a very happy fella today,” he ended.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Front Page
    Former NDP Gov’t minister passes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    This country has lost another former Member of Parliament with the death on Tuesday morning of Alpian Allen, who represented the constituency of North...
    Front Page
    New ACP Brenton Smith set to tackle gun violence in SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    ACTING Commissioner of Police Trevor Bailey, said newly promoted Deputy Commissioner Acting Brenton Smith, has been assigned to take strategic command...
    Front Page
    New Democratic Party confirms shift in stance on one-China policy
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Prime Minister Godwin Friday, has publicly reaffirmed the unwavering commitment of St Vincent and the Grenadines(SVG), to Taiwan with whom it is this ...
    Front Page
    Daughter of Vincentian mother heading to UK ‘Magic Circle’ law firm
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    by Grace Francis A Vincentian mother who spent 10 years serving in the Royal Navy is celebrating the academic achievements of her daughter, Destiny Ro...
    Front Page
    Deputy CDC Chair promises “changes will come” for VincyMas
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    As the Carnival Development Corporation (CDC) kicks off its promotional campaign leading to the celebration of 50 years of the change over of carnival...
    Front Page
    Gun-Surrender Claim Fails: Chief Magistrate Jails Armed Man
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Lawyer Grant Connell has concluded that his Majesty’s Prison (HMP) has now become like the Red Cross, as some people want to go there to get free room...
    News
    News
    AIA starts process towards certification
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Fixing the issues at St Vincent and the Grenadines’ (SVG), various airports is high on the agenda of the current administration and one thing that is ...
    News
    Opposition Senator expresses serious concern about “brazen” gun crimes
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    Opposition Senator Carlos James says the increasing frequency of gun-related incidents and homicides in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) is a serio...
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    From the Courts, News
    Cashier alleged to have stolen cash from 79-year-old, granted bail
    Webmaster 
    August 21, 2026
    A cashier who is alleged to have stolen almost $70-thousand from a senior citizen over a span of several weeks in 2023 and 2024 pleaded not guilty whe...
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    BISHOP ISHMAEL PRINCE CHARLES of St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), was elected Assistant Director of World Missions at the Church of God’s 80th Int...
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    News
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE CARNIVAL DEVELOPMENT Corporation (CDC) last Friday, August 14, 2026, blasted off their promotional campaign, “VincyMas 2027 Road to 50,” in the US...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok