Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Liat passengers still awaiting luggage after almost a week
News
January 13, 2017

Liat passengers still awaiting luggage after almost a week

Returning national Rupert Castello is calling on the Leeward Island Air Transport (LIAT) 1974 Limited to operate more professionally, as the way they do business can turn persons away from St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG).

On Wednesday, during a telephone interview with SEARCHLIGHT, Castello said that four of his friends from Toronto arrived in St Vincent on December 27 and left on Thursday, January 5. He said that their flight took them through Trinidad.

According to Castello, his four friends left the ET Joshua Airport at around 10 a.m., but when they arrived at the Piarco International Airport, they were told by a LIAT employee that their bags were still at ET Joshua.

On Wednesday, one week after the four Canadians left St Vincent, they had still not received their luggage, some four suitcases.

Castello, originally from Richland Park, but who moved back to St Vincent last year and constructed a house at Biabou, has described his friends’ baggage situation as “disgusting, unprofessional and ridiculous,” as LIAT was up to press time unable to tell his friends exactly when they would get their luggage.

He told SEARCHLIGHT that the situation is very unfortunate, as the four visitors are employed by the Toronto District School Board, two of them as principals, one as a social worker and one as a teacher and the luggage contained documents that were to be used on the first day of school, Monday, January 9.

“One of the ladies is a principal and she had brought work which she needed for a staff meeting on Monday and for students and all of that stuff which I helped her with is in her suitcase,” said Castello, who is a 15-year veteran of the Toronto District School Board, having worked as a principal in Canada.

He said that he decided to take early retirement and return to his beloved country, but is extremely peeved with LIAT, the airline charged with bringing the majority of visitors to these shores.

Castello said he usually encourages persons to come to SVG and will continue to do so, but thinks that LIAT should try their best to rectify the various issues that are painting the country and the region in a bad light.

He questioned whether the problems with LIAT will continue when the Argyle International Airport is opened.

“I love St Vincent and would encourage persons to come here, but LIAT is a big problem and with the opening of the international airport, they need to do better. They are going to go to Argyle with this sort of thing?”

He noted also that his friends’ luggage contained breadfruit, peas and other perishable items that would have spoiled by now. Castello said that they would be looking at some sort of legal redress through a Toronto based lawyer.

“They need to get their act together,” noted the irate man.

LIAT said on Wednesday evening that the luggage from Thursday, January 5 was forwarded to Trinidad on January 10 and was being sorted, with the intention of sending them to Canada yesterday or possibly today, Friday, January 13.

In recent months, LIAT has been plagued with flight cancellations, late flights and lost baggage. Persons have taken to social media and various other outlets to voice their displeasure with the company’s operations.(LC)

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Press Release
    CDB gets AA+ from Fitch Ratings
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Fitch Ratings has affirmed the Caribbean Development Bank’s (CDB) Long-Term Issuer Default Rating (IDR) at ‘AA+’ with a Stable Outlook. In its rating ...
    Former Prince Andrew  arrested over suspected misconduct in public office revealed in Epstein files
    Regional / World
    Former Prince Andrew arrested over suspected misconduct in public office revealed in Epstein files
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The former Prince Andrew, now Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested on Thursday, [ February 19,2026] for suspected misconduct in public office afte...
    Sports
    National Paralympic Committee Head makes a Sports-for-all Plug
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Rudi Daniel, who heads the National Paralympic Committee of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), wants to see a concerted effort to have sports for al...
    Azhino Solomon puts five past Avenues
    Sports
    Azhino Solomon puts five past Avenues
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A five-goal blitz by national player, Azhino Solomon, helped System Three to an emphatic 8-2 win over Avenues United last Sunday, February 15, 2026 as...
    Sanjay Jiandani is Level Three certified
    Sports
    Sanjay Jiandani is Level Three certified
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    President of the Archery Association of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), and National Head Coach, Sanjay Jiandani, is a Level Three World Archery ...
    North Windward Netball Tournament off to a flying start
    Sports
    North Windward Netball Tournament off to a flying start
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Four matches are down to be contested this weekend as competition in the North Windward Netball Tournament gets going. According to a release from the...
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    Webmaster 
    February 19, 2026
    The remnants of the fishing vessel ‘Zouti’ Creole for tools, is found by a group of Saint Lucian fishermen in the Caribbean Sea, hours after it and it...
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, said Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday has used ChatGPT to help write his 2026 Budget speech. ChatGPT is describ...
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    News
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION SENATOR Carlos James, has issued a stark warning regarding the new government’s fiscal roadmap, characterising the 2026 Budget as a dizzyin...
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    From the Courts, News
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    A 56-YEAR-OLD labourer of Redemption Sharpes who is charged with the offense of wounding, was granted bail when he appeared in court on Friday, Februa...
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    News
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS promised to implement screening and support this year for breast cancer, cervical cancer, as well as prostate and colon cancers. Th...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok