Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
News
February 9, 2007

Burial ground fiasco may take grave turn

The Ministry of Health wants to know if legal action is going to be taken against either Environmental Health Officer Michael Bacchus or the ministry over the cemetery lockup fiasco that took place three weeks ago involving SEARCHLIGHT’s CEO Clare Keizer and reporter Adrian Codogan.

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Health, Lanceford Weekes said that they have received a report from Bacchus, who has denied any wrongdoing, saying that he was in principle “an onlooker.”{{more}}

“I also had a meeting with him but we are now awaiting indication from Miss Keizer and the police to find out if any court proceedings are going to be brought before we make any ruling on the matter,” Weekes said.

Meanwhile Keizer said that while she was willing to put the matter to rest, recent statements made by Deputy Warden of the Kingstown Town Board, Benjamin Haynes have made her rethink her position.

“Instead of making lame excuses and shifting blame, an apology and acceptance of responsibility is what should be forthcoming,” is the advice being given to Haynes and all others involved in the imprisonment saga.

Haynes, at a recent news conference disputed claims that journalist, Adrian Codogan and Keizer were held against their will at the Kingstown Cemetery three weeks ago while they were investigating reports that a body was being exhumed.

“A health officer misled us into believing that it was the right process,” said Haynes, who admitted that he was one of a group of persons witnessing the exhumation of a corpse which had been buried in the wrong spot.

He said that when the journalists came on the scene they began to take pictures but no one spoke to him on the matter. He further disputed Keizer’s claim that they were locked into the cemetery because they refused to delete pictures that had been taken of what was going on.

“The security locked the gate because it was supposed to be locked at 6 p.m. so the security did not do anything wrong by locking the gate,” Haynes said in response to questions posed to him at a news conference. Haynes also claimed that Keizer and Codogan never asked him to open the gate.

“Mr Haynes’ statement is filled with irrelevances, inconsistencies and outright lies,” said Keizer.

She reiterated her claim that Environmental Health Officer, Michael Bacchus, who was also present, clearly outlined to her that all photographs taken had to be deleted if she and her reporter were to be released from the cemetery.

“How could I have asked Mr. Haynes to open the gate when he walked off on me when I tried to speak to him?” she asked.

Keizer also laughed off suggestions made by Haynes that she tried to record him without his knowledge because all she had in her hand was her cellular phone. “Neither one of us had a recorder,” she said.

Meanwhile, reporter Adrian Codogan disputes Haynes’ claim that he did not identify himself as a reporter. Codogan said that he identified himself as a reporter with SEARCHLIGHT to the persons around and was willing to swear by that in court.

“Haynes is a bold-faced liar, he also threatened me,” Codogan said.

Codogan said that the Senior Town Board official told him that he needed to leave, stating that he was a Justice of the Peace and asked “Do you know what the power of a Justice of the Peace is?”

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    No new taxes in 2026 Budget
    Front Page
    No new taxes in 2026 Budget
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE New Democratic Party administration, in its 2026 Budget is seeking to take St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) from a state of recovery, to one of...
    Opposition Leader rubbishes 2026 National Budget
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader rubbishes 2026 National Budget
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has rubbished the 2026 Budget presented by Prime Minister, Dr. Godwin Friday stating that it is inadequate. Th...
    Wanted man shot by police
    Front Page
    Wanted man shot by police
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE POLICE have shot and captured a man said to be a person of interest in relation to a number of incidents. In a release issued on Thursday, Februar...
    Government proceeding ‘in total transparency’ with CBI – PM
    Front Page
    Government proceeding ‘in total transparency’ with CBI – PM
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE New Democratic Party government will fulfil its election promise by implementing a Citizenship by Investment programme (CBI), now that it has been...
    Public Debt, a constraint, says new administration
    Front Page
    Public Debt, a constraint, says new administration
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    PRIME MINISTER, Dr. Godwin Friday, has raised concerns about “the massive public debt” of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). He said in Parliament o...
    Senator John says he’s no product of the education revolution
    Front Page
    Senator John says he’s no product of the education revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE UNITY LABOR PARTY’S (ULP) ‘Education Revolution’ has been given a failing grade by government Senator and Deputy Speaker of the House of Assembly,...
    News
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    News
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE 2026 PROGRAMME of activities to celebrate National Heroes and Heritage Month was unveiled at a media launch on Tuesday, February 10, 2026 at the U...
    Airports targeted for upgrades and expansion
    News
    Airports targeted for upgrades and expansion
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    TOTAL OF $62 million is allocated in the 2026 Budget, for airport development across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). Word of this came from Prime...
    Intervention planned to combat poor Math results in schools
    News
    Intervention planned to combat poor Math results in schools
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE NEW government in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), is on a mission to change how Mathematics is taught, with the hope of getting better result...
    Some persons surviving on $10 a day says PM
    News
    Some persons surviving on $10 a day says PM
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    SOME PERSONS IN St Vincent and the Grenadines are surviving on $10 per day. This was highlighted by Prime Minister Dr Godwin Friday, during his Budget...
    Geothermal wells may be capped by new government
    News
    Geothermal wells may be capped by new government
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    WELLS WHICH WERE dug in the northern part of mainland St Vincent as part of a geothermal project under the ULP administration, are now said to be emit...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok