Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
High Court awards Otto Sam almost $65,000 in damages
News
December 23, 2016

High Court awards Otto Sam almost $65,000 in damages

The High Court has ordered that the Government pay former headteacher Otto Sam almost $65,000 in damages; after it determined that he had been “unfairly and wrongfully” dismissed by the Public Service Board of Appeal (PSBA).

In a post on his Facebook page, Jomo Thomas, counsel for Sam, said in a decision delivered on December 12, 2016, Master Raulston Glasgow awarded the following damages: {{more}}1. Annual duty allowance of $2,400; 2. Difference in salary $24,000; 3. Vindicatory award $30,000; 4. Prescribed cost $8,520; 5. Total award of $64,920 at 5 per cent per annum from December 12, 2016.

Thomas also said the Master justified his order of a Vindicatory award as follows: “In the instant situation, a highly qualified educator was arbitrarily removed from his office and unceremoniously deposited in another office for which he was not qualified or equipped. He was left for some time to beseech his superiors for the tools and responsibilities of office and was later assigned tasks not commensurate with his training, qualifications and experience. He was sent off on 90 days leave for which he did not apply. A fair and substantial sum must be awarded to vindicate the breach of the constitutional rights afforded to him.”

On October 20, 2016, High Court judge Esco Henry ruled that the PSBA’s decision to dismiss the former head teacher was “illogical, unreasonable, unlawful, arrived at in an unfair and procedurally improper manner and disproportionate.” She also said that Sam was “unfairly and wrongfully dismissed by the PSBA”.

The judge ruled that Sam “never ceased to be entitled to hold the office of head teacher in the Ministry of Education and he is and has remained so entitled.”

The court, therefore quashed the PSBA’s decision to dismiss Sam and ordered that he is entitled to: (1) receive the portion of his salary which was deducted during his interdiction between August 7, 2012 and May 15, 2013; (2) his full pay, all increases and benefits that accrued to him and which are due and payable to him in his capacity as head teacher, benefits from the date of his dismissal on May 15, 2013, including his pension and gratuity (3) damages for unfair or wrongful dismissal and (4) interest on the said sums at the statutory rate of 6 per cent per annum from the date of this judgment until payment.

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013, Sam was relieved of his position as head teacher of the South Rivers Methodist School. He was also relieved of his assignment at the National Emergency Management Office (NEMO).

Before that, in August 2012, Sam was suspended with half pay, as a disciplinary inquiry was instituted against him, for the letters he wrote to local media, on July 24, 2012. He was at the time assigned to NEMO.

Sam had been transferred to NEMO on August 30, 2010 from the South Rivers Methodist School, where he was head teacher. At the time of his transfer, the former president of the St Vincent and the Grenadines Teachers’ Union had been a teacher for 30 years.

Sam’s transfer to NEMO followed an unannounced visit made to the South Rivers Methodist School by Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves on March 21, 2010. SEARCHLIGHT understands that during that visit, Gonsalves did not first report to the head teacher’s office, which is the policy of the Ministry of Education for all visitors to academic institutions.

Gonsalves is the parliamentary representative for North Central Windward, which includes South Rivers.

Following the visit of the Prime Minister to the school, Sam wrote to Gonsalves, pointing out the alleged flouting of the Ministry’s directive. The chief education officer, it is said, then asked Sam to apologize to the Prime Minister, which Sam refused to do. He was then transferred to NEMO.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Front Page
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Rajah Caruth, professional NASCAR Driver and Sporting Ambassador for St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), got a warm homecoming when he arrived on We...
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Front Page
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Infectious disease specialist Dr. Jerrol Thompson has said the drug-resistant bacterium, Carbapenem-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii (CRAB), recently...
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Front Page
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    The manner in which the prize money for components involved in VincyMas competitions 2026 was distributed has left a bitter taste in the mouth of some...
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Front Page
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Mohandus “Bobby” Martin is hoping to carve out a niche in the St Vincent and the Grenadines’s (SVG) beverage market by introducing an affordable Europ...
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Front Page
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Reports that Layou resident Renold “Bagga” Quashie was stabbed and killed seems not have been the correct conclusion, a relayed by a friend who referr...
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Front Page
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Twenty new students have been added to The Basil Charles Educational Foundation (BCEF) Scholarship programme, which this year celebrates 30 years. The...
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth  excited to  create new  memories of SVG
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth excited to create new memories of SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Professional NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth received a hero’s welcome in Barrouallie yesterday, August 13,2026 returning to his roots during an emotional ...
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    News
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    With Artificial Intelligence (AI) becoming increasingly advanced and accessible, Chief Executive Officer of the National Centre for Technological Inno...
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    News
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Former Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), Aviar Charles recently reflected on her journey to the crown while encouraging the St. Vincent and th...
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok