Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Court rejects life sentence request, sentences man to 38 years for wife’s murder
Mitchell Israel (second from left) leaving the High Court after being sentenced. He must serve 34 more years in prison for the murder of his wife.
Front Page
November 7, 2023

Court rejects life sentence request, sentences man to 38 years for wife’s murder

The Court has rejected the prosecution’s request for a life sentence to be imposed on a former civil servant who has been found guilty of shooting his wife to death.

Defence lawyer Linton Lewis got half his wish yesterday when the court sided with him by imposing a determinant sentence on Lower Questelles resident, Mitchell Israel. However, Lewis’s plea for a custodial sentence of 15-35 years was rejected, as Israel was sentenced to 38 years in prison.

A jury had found the 61-year-old guilty of the January 30, 2020 daylight shooting of his wife, Arianna Taylor on August 16, 2023.

Last Friday, October 16, Israel reappeared before Justice Rickie Burnett to hear the prosecution and his defence lawyer make submissions about his sentencing.

Lewis, in his oral submissions, took issue with the prosecution’s arguments, saying they were hinged on the conclusion that there had been a substantial degree of pre-meditation and planning related to Taylor’s death.

Lewis was of the opinion that the prosecution’s case should be “thrown away” as there was no evidence presented during the trial to support this argument, and so he requested a determinant sentence of 15-35 years.

The defence attorney said that Israel had been in the habit of going to the school, and carrying his firearm. He said Israel usually picks up his son at the school, and sometimes his wife, then they would leave together.

“There is no evidence that Israel did anything he doesn’t usually do,” Lewis argued.

He added to that for one to say that Israel went to the school, knowing his wife was there, with the intent to kill her “is the most far-fetched conclusion anyone can come to.”

Lewis also addressed how the prosecution extensively spoke of physical and verbal abuse on the part of Israel. However, Lewis noted that there was nothing said during the trial that supported the claim that Israel had been physically abusive.

“My mother was always the one who started the arguments,” Lewis said, quoting part of Israel’s son’s testimony.

“You mentioned the firearm was recovered, but how could you be so…spiteful to the individual to not say how the weapon was discovered?” Lewis continued.

The defence attorney also referred to the fact that no mitigating factors of Israel were presented by the prosecution, but said they did not say how they came to that conclusion.

Lewis argued that Israel is a model citizen, and in all his years of life had never been charged for a criminal offence, not even a traffic offence. He is “very respectful to supervisors and inmates.”

“How can you say he appeared to have a temper?” he questioned, adding that the mitigating factors far outweighed the aggravating.

The sentencing was postponed twice afterwards, and finally took place yesterday at the High Court.

The facts in the matter are that on January 30, 2020 at 3 pm, Israel visited the St Martin’s Secondary School as usual. Upon arrival, an exchange occurred between Israel and his wife, whom he met there, which resulted in her being shot three times in her neck and chest.

Israel then fled the scene and discarded the firearm.

A social inquiry report on Israel stated that Israel’s wife had made three reports to the police against him in 2018 and 2020. He had been married to her for over 20 years, and they have two children. Before the murder, Israel and his wife had been undergoing marital issues.

When Burnett began his sentencing, he disagreed with the prosecution that a life sentence should be imposed, on the basis that the offence was not pre-meditated and planned as the prosecution posited in their submissions. As a result, he began with a determinant prison sentence of 40 years.

Aggravating of the offence was that it was committed in the presence of children at an educational institution, in view of the public, and an attempt was made to discard the firearm. However, it was taken into consideration that Israel habitually visits the school to take his child home.

Mitigating of the offence was that Israel assisted the police in the recovery of the firearm.

The aggravating factors of the offence outweighed the mitigating factors and so the court added two years to the sentence.

Mitigating of the offender was that he is of good character, he had no previous convictions, and had appeared to show genuine remorse for his actions, and has shown signs of being rehabilitated.

The mitigating factors of the offender outweighed the aggravating factors and so the court reduced the sentence by four years resulting in a custodial sentence of 38 years.

However, Israel has already spent three years, nine months and four days on remand, and so that time will be deducted from his sentence, resulting in a remaining sentence of 34 years, two months and 27 days.

The prosecution was led by Director of Public Prosecutions Sejilla McDowall and Richie Maitland and assisted by Kaylia Toney. Lewis was joined by his daughter, Maffica Lewis for the defence.

{"carousel":"Carousel"}
  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok