Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
C&W defends players sponsorship deal
Sports
March 11, 2005

C&W defends players sponsorship deal

As the ongoing Cable &Wireless versus Digicel telecommunications dogfight over sponsorship deals continues to divide West Indies cricket Cable & Wireless has attempted to explain its position on the issue.

In a statement Friday the company claims that “despite any claims to the contrary, its sponsorship offer to the WICB, tabled in September 2003, during the company’s 18th year of sponsorship of West Indies cricket, has never been withdrawn”.{{more}}

And Rachelle Franklin, Senior Vice President for Corporate Marketing for Cable & Wireless Caribbean region, is reiterating that Cable & Wireless, which gave up its longstanding sponsorship of cricket in 2003 will always “be there” for West Indies cricket.

Franklin said “it was recognized that the current situation as it relates to sponsorship is difficult for the parties involved and that it has created a dilemma which has put the players in an awkward position, since they have legitimate player contracts and are dedicated to the game. “

The company statement further contends that the company is “grateful for the continued support of the players and want to reiterate [its] steadfast commitment to them and to the future of West Indies cricket.” It said it is important for the Caribbean people to know that Cable & Wireless have “worked within the legal boundaries of [its] contracts and internationally accepted practice, which predates the WICB’s current team sponsorship arrangement.”

Franklin said Cable & Wireless had made a number of compromises last year to ensure that the tour of Australia went ahead and had agreed then “to come together with all parties involved to find a reasonable solution post tour”.

The Cable & Wireless executive claims that to date her company has “not been invited to sit at the table in an attempt to resolve the issues”. They therefore “continued to move forward in activation of our lawful Player sponsorships as planned, and have begun preliminary activities around our World Cup 2007 sponsorship.”

She said that as matters have continued to deteriorate, Cable & Wireless was “prepared to make other reasonable concessions in the best interest of West Indies cricket so that the South African and Pakistan tours to the Caribbean are neither compromised nor jeopardized.” This, although “these compromises will significantly reduce the value of what [they] have.”

But, with World Cup 2007 looming, for which Cable & Wireless has already signed onto as telecommunications provider, Franklin said her company had “pushed the limits of how far [it] can go without seriously undermining [its] ability to continue to support the game in preparation for the biggest sporting event to come to the Caribbean.”

In that context the company was offering several concessions. They include limiting the number of players shown visually in print, radio or television advertisements so as not to visually infer [they] are a team sponsor; refrain from using any reference to the “West Indies Team” or the word “team” in any of our advertising; and eliminate all advertising and marketing activities outside of the Caribbean surrounding any of the Overseas Tours.

These concessions, Franklin stated “demonstrate the commitment to the future of West Indies Cricket.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Front Page
    NDP romps home 14-1
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    THE PEOPLE SPOKE emphatically in Thursday’s general elections in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG)propelling the New Democratic Party (NDP) into the...
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Front Page
    ULP’s ‘Come Home Rally’ attracts thousands
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A MAMMOTH CROWD thronged the Arnos Vale 2 Playing Field for the ‘Come Home Labour Family’ rally of the Unity Labour Party (ULP) as it closed out the 2...
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Front Page
    Political Parties close out elections campaign with big entertainers
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    “THE WIND OF change is blowing throughout this land,” declared Dr Godwin Friday, leader of the New Democratic Party. He was speaking at the party’s cl...
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Front Page
    NMCM: main polling day complaint, long lines
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    VOLUNTEERS UNDER THE auspices of the National Monitoring and Consultative Mechanism (NMCM), who have been monitoring the general elections campaign, h...
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Press Release
    Jamaica’s Andrew Holness Congratulates Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    EVEN BEFORE his swearing in as prime minister, regional leaders have been sending messages of congratulations to Dr Godwin Friday on the victory of hi...
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    News
    Regional leaders send congratulations to Dr. Friday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    TRINIDAD ANDTOBAGO’S Prime Minister, Kamla Persad Bessesar, was also among regional leaders to send early congratulations to Dr. Godwin Friday. “Tonig...
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    News
    Online educator drops in on students at St Vincent Grammar School
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    BY GRACE FRANCIS WITH A VIEW to setting foot in every country in the Caribbean, online educator, Kerwin Springer, of Trinidad and Tobago paid a visit ...
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    News
    Party leaders travelled north on Thursday
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    LEADER OFTHE Unity Labour Party (ULP), Dr Ralph Gonsavles, and leader of the New democratic Party (NDP), Dr Godwin Friday both went to constituencies ...
    Sir Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    News
    Sir Calvert Jones recognized by the OAS
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A PRESENTATION BY Vincentian artist, Sir Calvert Jones at the 10th Inter-American Meeting of Ministers of Culture and Highest Appropriate Authorities ...
    From the Courts, News
    Teenage thief activates $900 bond, sent to prison
    Webmaster 
    November 28, 2025
    A TEENAGER, who used another person’s vehicle without permission and was bonded in the sum of $900, is now imprisoned for four months for stealing fro...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok