Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Five teens, 21-year-old accused of vicious attack
Front Page
December 6, 2019

Five teens, 21-year-old accused of vicious attack

Police have confirmed that they have received a report of another incident of alleged gang rape among school-aged children in St Vincent and the Grenadines.

And an official of the Police Public Relations Department told SEARCHLIGHT yesterday that the most recent report is currently being investigated by the Sexual Offences Unit of the Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force.

Three months ago, SEARCHLIGHT published an article about an incident that took place on the Leeward side of St Vincent, in which a teenage girl reported that in September 2018 she was gang raped at school by 10 boys from the secondary institution.

And reports are that a similar incident occurred last month on the Windward (eastern) side of St Vincent, involving an adult male and some students from a school situated there.

According to a local online media entity, a 15-year-old girl was allegedly gang raped by six males, five of whom are her school mates.

The report said that five of the alleged rapists are between 15 and 18 years old and in Forms 3 to 5. The girl is a second former.

It also said that the sixth person alleged to have been involved in the incident will celebrate his 21st birthday this month and is a former student of another secondary school in the eastern part of the island.

The incident is said to have taken place last month, when the alleged victim was walking with a female friend one evening. It is reported that one of their school mates lured them to a property where the others were waiting.

The victim was reportedly forced to drink something, then she was raped, with two of the boys holding her hands while two others forcibly removed her pants and underwear.

SEARCHLIGHT understands that the accused boys were suspended from school for 10 days, the maximum period permissible under Section 54 of the Education Act. However, no arrests have been made in relation to the reported incident.

This was also the case in the incident that occurred on the Leeward side of the island in September 2018 and parents of that teenage girl have questioned why none of the accused boys have been charged. All of the accused still attend the same secondary school as the alleged victim.

SEARCHLIGHT understands that when the police conclude their investigations in cases like these which involve school children, the files are sent to the office of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for review before any action is taken by the police.

Attempts were made to speak with DPP Sejilla McDowall yesterday, however we were told that she was in a meeting and that our questions should be sent via e-mail.

SEARCHLIGHT did not receive answers to those questions up to press time.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Front Page
    Warm welcome for Vincentian NASCAR driver
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Rajah Caruth, professional NASCAR Driver and Sporting Ambassador for St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), got a warm homecoming when he arrived on We...
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Front Page
    CRAB not going to spread like Covid/AIDS – medical specialist
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Infectious disease specialist Dr. Jerrol Thompson has said the drug-resistant bacterium, Carbapenem-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii (CRAB), recently...
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Front Page
    Components displeased over CDC prize giving ceremony
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    The manner in which the prize money for components involved in VincyMas competitions 2026 was distributed has left a bitter taste in the mouth of some...
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Front Page
    Entrepreneur introduces new tequila to the local market
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Mohandus “Bobby” Martin is hoping to carve out a niche in the St Vincent and the Grenadines’s (SVG) beverage market by introducing an affordable Europ...
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Front Page
    Close friend says Layou man’s death was not by stabbing
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Reports that Layou resident Renold “Bagga” Quashie was stabbed and killed seems not have been the correct conclusion, a relayed by a friend who referr...
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Front Page
    Twenty receive Basil Charles Foundation scholarships and bursaries for 2026
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Twenty new students have been added to The Basil Charles Educational Foundation (BCEF) Scholarship programme, which this year celebrates 30 years. The...
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth  excited to  create new  memories of SVG
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth excited to create new memories of SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Professional NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth received a hero’s welcome in Barrouallie yesterday, August 13,2026 returning to his roots during an emotional ...
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    News
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    With Artificial Intelligence (AI) becoming increasingly advanced and accessible, Chief Executive Officer of the National Centre for Technological Inno...
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    News
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Former Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), Aviar Charles recently reflected on her journey to the crown while encouraging the St. Vincent and th...
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok