Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Facilities were not available to host Americas Netball Qualifiers, says PM
News
March 10, 2026

Facilities were not available to host Americas Netball Qualifiers, says PM

Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday said the facilities were not available to host the Netball Americas World Cup Qualifiers at Arnos Vale that were slated for October 13-23, 2026.

“The challenge was that at this stage in the game, the facilities were simply not available, and the way in which we would get them ready by that time frame, it was not possible. And so we simply took a decision that in light of the current situation and no assurance that we can deliver, that we had to do a decision early enough so that alternative arrangements could be made by those persons who are hosting” the Qualifiers, Prime Minister, Dr. Godwin Friday said at a press conference on March 3, 2026.

He was responding to a question why the decision was taken for St. Vincent and the Grenadines to withdraw from hosting the Qualifiers, and whether any prior consultation had been held with the SVG Netball Association. The prime minister said it was a very important subject matter, and pointed out that the minister of sports has been engaged in discussions on the on it, and informed him and the Cabinet.

“This is something that is a very difficult decision for us to take, because we would like to be able to host this,” Dr. Friday noted.

“ One of the things that we campaigned on in the new economy is the development of sports. There’s no point in going down into August and September and saying that, ‘sorry, we’re not able to do it’,… and that was the situation that we inherited. That is why we made the decision as early as we could, considering all the factors, all the stuff that you’ve mentioned there and the challenges,” Dr. Friday stated.

The Unity Labour Party administration had given the undertaking that it would bring the Arnos Vale venue to a state of readiness for the international series.

Among the commitments made to Netball Americas through the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Netball Association, was the identification of a supplier to provide the covered facility at the Arnos Vale site, and the hand over deadline of the $US 4.5 million project was July/August 2026.

The then administration’s written commitment is believed to have tipped the balance in favour of SVG to host the Qualifiers. In a February 5,2026 letter,Minister of Sports Kaschaka Cupid informed the Association that SVG was not proceeding as host because the venue would not be ready. Officials of the SVGNA are awaiting likely sanctions from Netball Americas which may include a fine, or suspension.

A fine would see the SVGNA’s programmes being negatively impacted, and if suspended, a core group of at least five netballers would see their careers at the national level coming to an abrupt end.

“We will assist the association to make sure that we do proper preparations to build the sport of netball, and to assist those persons whom we have identified that may be negatively affected,” Dr. Friday assured.

“ We will ensure that we do all that we can to make sure that they’re not.”

{"carousel":"Carousel"}
  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Chinese Medics injects new technology into Barbados’ Health System
    News
    Chinese Medics injects new technology into Barbados’ Health System
    Webmaster 
    August 1, 2026
    The eighth Chinese Medical Team to Barbados has introduced two first-of-their-kind medical technologies to the island's healthcare system, while expan...
    China helps Barbados rebuild National Stadium
    News
    China helps Barbados rebuild National Stadium
    Webmaster 
    August 1, 2026
    The Barbados National Stadium in Waterford, St. Michael, is being rebuilt on the exact site where the now demolished facility once stood, with the red...
    Election petition battle adjourned
    Front Page
    Election petition battle adjourned
    Webmaster 
    July 31, 2026
    ONE OF THE MOST signifi cant cases in this young nation’s history is currently being argued before Justice Gertel Thom in Kingstown. Lawyers for the p...
    Teenaged murder accused gets bail in landmark ruling
    Front Page
    Teenaged murder accused gets bail in landmark ruling
    Webmaster 
    July 31, 2026
    A LONG-STANDING STATUTORY BARRIER was shattered in the High Court of Justice after a 16-year-old murder accused was granted a historic EC$25,000 bail....
    Brianna’s death tears at Heartstrings
    Front Page
    Brianna’s death tears at Heartstrings
    Webmaster 
    July 31, 2026
    TRAGEDY TURNED ITS ugly face on the quiet island of Bequia Wednesday as a vehicular accident robbed twelve year old Brianna Veira of her once very act...
    Opposition Leader says registering at NDP party office for road work is inappropriate
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader says registering at NDP party office for road work is inappropriate
    Webmaster 
    July 31, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves has described as inappropriate, the decision by Government to call for people to register for the annual road cl...
    News
    Chinese Medics injects new technology into Barbados’ Health System
    News
    Chinese Medics injects new technology into Barbados’ Health System
    Webmaster 
    August 1, 2026
    The eighth Chinese Medical Team to Barbados has introduced two first-of-their-kind medical technologies to the island's healthcare system, while expan...
    China helps Barbados rebuild National Stadium
    News
    China helps Barbados rebuild National Stadium
    Webmaster 
    August 1, 2026
    The Barbados National Stadium in Waterford, St. Michael, is being rebuilt on the exact site where the now demolished facility once stood, with the red...
    ‘Foot on Neck’, Shipping fees stifling youth
    News
    ‘Foot on Neck’, Shipping fees stifling youth
    Webmaster 
    July 31, 2026
    by: JADA CHAMBERS OWNER OF PEAK Auto Care, Stephen Ferdinand, strongly believes that shipping agencies across St.Vincent and the Grenadines have place...
    Officers death deemed a suicide by investigators
    News
    Officers death deemed a suicide by investigators
    Webmaster 
    July 31, 2026
    THE DEATH of Police Constable 1116 Kenrick Scott has been officially deemed a suicide by the Royal Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force(RSVGP...
    Dr Friday pushes ahead with CBI despite warnings
    News
    Dr Friday pushes ahead with CBI despite warnings
    Webmaster 
    July 31, 2026
    DESPITE the many warning signs pointing to the demise of Citizenship by Investment programmes, not just in the Caribbean but in other parts of the wor...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok