Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • logo
      • logo
      • logo
    • About Us
      • logo
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Vincentian British Armed Forces soldier files £300,000 compensation claim against MoD
Zakri Joseph, a Vincentian enrolled in the British Armed Forces
News
December 23, 2019

Vincentian British Armed Forces soldier files £300,000 compensation claim against MoD

Zakri Joseph, a Vincentian enrolled in the British Armed Forces has launched a £300,000 compensation claim against the Ministry of Defence (MoD), claiming he is suffering from a non-freezing cold injury.

The Salisbury Journal reported on December 18, that Joseph, 35, expects to be medically discharged from the Army soon after developing a condition called non-freezing cold injury through his service.

The information was gathered from a writ issued at London’s High Court and which was made public earlier this month.

Joseph who lives in Paget Close, Tidworth, Wiltshire is originally from Stubbs and is assigned to the 2nd Battalion Mercian Regiment.

He accuses the MoD of failing to warn him that he was more at risk than others of developing the condition, because of his ethnicity.

It is noted that individuals of black and Caribbean heritage are more likely to contract the condition, which can affect them for the rest of their lives.

According to the writ, Joseph is said to have first developed numb feet during basic training at Catterick, but largely recovered from this and continued to serve on several winter tours.

However, in November 2016 he joined Exercise Black Hackle in Scotland, with temperatures plunging to minus six degrees Celsius, on a fortnight’s exercise which involved nights in the field, sleeping under a poncho, and staying in an essentially unheated open hangar.

The writ says that Joseph claims that he was unable to keep his feet dry, and after a couple of days, developed symptoms in his hands and feet. However, he says his platoon sergeant told him to ‘man up’.

And when he complained of his symptoms to a sergeant, he says he was told to stick it out, as the company were facing a review, and it would reflect badly on the company if anyone was sent back to camp.

His condition is said to have worsened when he was sent on a stores course, that saw him sleeping in a six-bed dormitory that was very cold and using cold showers. And although he visited a nearby gym to take his hot showers at his own expense, that didn’t help.

Joseph, says the MoD failed to warn him of his increased vulnerability, because of his ethnicity, or give him extra training, instruction or information.

He says he was given the same equipment as others who were not so vulnerable and accuses the MoD of negligence, in failing to train or instruct his commanders highlighting his vulnerability to non-freezing cold injury.

He also accuses them of failing to provide him with specialist clothing and insulated boots, failing to take him off the exercise when he complained of cold injuries, failing to obtain immediate medical treatment, and returning him to working and exercising in cold conditions.

He says he was also negligently given unsuitable personal protective equipment, and not enough hot food and drinks regularly, which would have reduced the risk of developing the condition.

The writ says the MoD negligently fostered an environment in which NCOs and officers were reluctant to cut short or abort exercises, and discouraged recruits from dropping out of exercises.

Joseph is said to take painkillers regularly to manage his symptoms and is disadvantaged on the open labour market.

Over the years, soldiers attached to the British Army have received compensation for non-freezing cold injury and unconfirmed reports are that Joseph is not the only Vincentian soldier who has filed claims for this injury.

Joseph refused to comment on his case when contacted on Monday.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Changes in top ranks of SVG Police Force
    Front Page
    Changes in top ranks of SVG Police Force
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF) has announced changes in the highest ranks of the organisation, with seasoned officers T...
    Weekend brings chaos in Kingstown
    Front Page
    Weekend brings chaos in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    POLICE OFFICERS in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) were kept busy between August 14 to August 17, as four separate shooting incidents were recorde...
    Pharmacist freed of wounding with licenced firearm charge
    Front Page
    Pharmacist freed of wounding with licenced firearm charge
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE USE OF A LICENSED FIREARM for self defence was again ventilated before the courts when this time around, pharmacist Esworth Lewis was freed of a c...
    Police present scholarships and bursaries to 78 students
    Front Page
    Police present scholarships and bursaries to 78 students
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE ROYAL STVINCENT and the Grenadines Police Force (RSVGPF), on Thursday, August 13, 2026 handed out scholarships and bursaries to 78 students who wi...
    Fourteen receive Building and Loan scholarships and bursaries
    Front Page
    Fourteen receive Building and Loan scholarships and bursaries
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE STVINCENT BUILDING & Loan Association (SVBLA) has awarded scholarships and bursaries to 14 students as part of its continued commitment to support...
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    BISHOP ISHMAEL PRINCE CHARLES of St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), was elected Assistant Director of World Missions at the Church of God’s 80th Int...
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    News
    Vincentian Bishop Ishmael Charles elected Assistant Director of World Missions- Church of God
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    BISHOP ISHMAEL PRINCE CHARLES of St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), was elected Assistant Director of World Missions at the Church of God’s 80th Int...
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    News
    Journey VincyMas 2027: Road to 50 launched in New York
    Webmaster 
    August 18, 2026
    THE CARNIVAL DEVELOPMENT Corporation (CDC) last Friday, August 14, 2026, blasted off their promotional campaign, “VincyMas 2027 Road to 50,” in the US...
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth  excited to  create new  memories of SVG
    News
    NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth excited to create new memories of SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Professional NASCAR driver Rajah Caruth received a hero’s welcome in Barrouallie yesterday, August 13,2026 returning to his roots during an emotional ...
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    News
    Caution given on the responsible use of AI
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    With Artificial Intelligence (AI) becoming increasingly advanced and accessible, Chief Executive Officer of the National Centre for Technological Inno...
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    News
    Former Miss SVG Aviar Charles shares inspiring journey in pursuit of higher education
    Webmaster 
    August 14, 2026
    Former Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), Aviar Charles recently reflected on her journey to the crown while encouraging the St. Vincent and th...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok