Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Grenadians sentenced for firearms and illegal entry
Nixon Belfon
From the Courts
June 11, 2021

Grenadians sentenced for firearms and illegal entry

A sentence of three years incarceration has been handed down to a 25-year-old Grenadian who was caught red handed in a house on Union Island with an unlicensed firearm and over one hundred bullets.  

 Fisherman Nixon Belfon, and Grenadian Shaquille/Michael Derrick, were previously both charged that they did have 100 rounds of 9mm ammunition in their possession on May 6 in Union Island. However, this charge was withdrawn against Derrick, leaving only Belfon to face sentencing yesterday, June 7, at the Serious Offences Court (SOC). 

 Belfon was also charged that he did, on the same date and in the same place, have one Taurus Millenium .40 Pistol, serial number ‘STA 56770’, and five rounds of .40 ammunition.  

 The charges stem from an operation carried out by a party of Rapid Response Unit(RRU) personnel at about 9:50am on the said date. The officers were acting on information received when they descended on a home in Murray, Union Island.
 
 The police constable heading the party noticed on arrival that the doors of the house were open, and he is said to have seen Belfon inside with what looked like a gun in his hand. Derrick, also in the house, was observed sitting on a chair.

The head of the operation shouted “Police, don’t move” to the occupants, after which Belfon apparently placed the gun in the kitchen sink. The officer entered the house and removed the gun. He examined it, and registered what the make and serial number of the weapon was, and searched the firearm for ammunition. None was found therein.  

 Belfon apparently told the officers, “I meet it here”.  

A search of the 25-year-old’s person revealed that he had five rounds of .40 ammunition in his right pants pocket. He said nothing about this. 
 Nothing illegal was found on the person of Derrick. 

However, a search of the home, led the police to discover, in a bedroom, under a mattress on the ground, two transparent wrapped packages.

Opening them, the officer saw two full 50 round cartridges of 9mm ammunition, together amounting to 100 bullets.

“I meet them here,” was the explanation given to the police.  

Yesterday, Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne sentenced the young Grenadian to three years in prison for possession of the firearm, two years for possession of the 100 unlicensed rounds of ammunition, and eight months incarceration for possession of five rounds of unlicensed ammunition.  

 The two Grenadians were also sentenced on four immigration charges. For the charges that they did enter the state by boat without a passport; that they did enter without the consent of an immigration officer; and at a place other than a port of entry, the duo were sentenced to four months in prison.  

 For wilfully allowing themselves to be landed as a prohibited immigrant, each was fined $600 forthwith, with a default of three months in prison.  

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    Webmaster 
    February 19, 2026
    The remnants of the fishing vessel ‘Zouti’ Creole for tools, is found by a group of Saint Lucian fishermen in the Caribbean Sea, hours after it and it...
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Front Page
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    FISHERMEN and other users of the sea in St Lucia and St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), are said to be on edge following a lethal US military strike...
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has taken the Dr. Godwin Friday-led government to task over its silence on the destruction of an apparent fish...
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Front Page
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    PRIME MINISTER Dr. Godwin Friday said the opposition responded to the New Democratic Party’s (NDP) fiscal package saying that it is going to make peop...
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Front Page
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    WHAT EXACTLY CAUSED a brawl that seemingly began in the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) outlet on Bay Street and spilled onto the streets of Kingstown is...
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Front Page
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER and Minister of National Security, Major St Clair Leacock, is firm in his resolve to rid St Vincent and the Grenadines of gang c...
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    News
    Destroyed Fishing Boat Found
    Webmaster 
    February 19, 2026
    The remnants of the fishing vessel ‘Zouti’ Creole for tools, is found by a group of Saint Lucian fishermen in the Caribbean Sea, hours after it and it...
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, said Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday has used ChatGPT to help write his 2026 Budget speech. ChatGPT is describ...
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    News
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION SENATOR Carlos James, has issued a stark warning regarding the new government’s fiscal roadmap, characterising the 2026 Budget as a dizzyin...
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    From the Courts, News
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    A 56-YEAR-OLD labourer of Redemption Sharpes who is charged with the offense of wounding, was granted bail when he appeared in court on Friday, Februa...
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    News
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS promised to implement screening and support this year for breast cancer, cervical cancer, as well as prostate and colon cancers. Th...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok