Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
One officer walks free in police shooting case
From the Courts
June 28, 2013

One officer walks free in police shooting case

One of the three police officers who had been charged in connection with the shooting of another police officer, walked free from the Serious Offences Court on Tuesday.{{more}}

Police Constable 45 Adrian Forde of the Criminal Investigations Department, who was charged with conspiracy to defeat the course of justice, was discharged following a submission by his counsel Kay Bacchus-Browne that there was no evidence to support the charge.

“The only thing the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) was relying on was a report that he made, which, in any event, if that report had gone in, there was no evidence to show that he was perverting the course of justice,” Bacchus-Browne told SEARCHLIGHT.

Chief Magistrate Sonya Young agreed with Bacchus-Browne, stating, “I don’t have any evidence.”

DPP Colin Williams said he conceded in relation to Forde, and stated that once the report wasn’t allowed, then the case against him will fall.

Forde was then discharged of the matter.

However, the two other officers, Sergeant Julius Morgan and Police Constable Orlando Collins are still on trial, charged with unlawful and malicious wounding, unlawful discharging of a firearm, excessive use of force, acting in a manner so rash or so negligent as to be likely to cause harm to a person and conspiracy to defeat the course of justice.

At the close of the prosecution’s case, the men’s lawyers Ronald Marks and Duane Daniel said they will submit written no-case submissions on behalf of their clients on or before July 12.

The prosecution was given until July 19 to respond and the magistrate will give her decision on July 23.

On December 5, 2012, police received an anonymous tip that a drug operation was being carried out on the beach at Rose Place, popularly known as Bottom Town.

During the operation, Corporal Milford Edwards, a member of the Narcotics Unit (Drug Squad) was shot in his upper right arm.

Before the close of the case, the prosecution called Dr Charles Woods to testify.

Woods, who examined Edwards, told the court that on May 9, 2013, he removed metal fragments from Edwards’ forehead, which were then handed to investigating officer ASP Jonathan Nichols.

ASP Nichols, in his testimony, told the court that sometime in January 2013, he was given a directive to investigate the incident between the Narcotics Unit and the CID.

He said he collected statements and reports from the officers and forwarded them to the Commissioner through the Deputy Commissioner, as was the normal procedure.

On March 15, Nichols said he was given a further directive to charge the men.

Nichols stated that Forde elected not to give a statement in the matter, saying that he had already submitted a report and had already spoken to his lawyer.

However, Morgan and Collins, who also gave reports in the matter, said they were sticking by their reports, when they were interviewed by Nichols and Corporal Biorn Duncan by way of a video recording.

Collins, in his interview, which was shown in court with the use of a projector, repeated “I have nothing to say in regard to that question,” whenever a question was posed to him.

“Do you remember having a gun in your possession on December 5?”

“I have nothing to say in regard to that question,” Collins replied.

“Are you aware that Corporal Milford Edwards was injured?

“I have nothing to say in regard to that question,” he replied again.

“So, you are saying that you made a report and you will like to stick to that report?” Corporal Duncan asked.

“Yes, sir,” Collins replied.

Morgan’s report, which was read in court by Nichols, stated he was carrying a 12-gauge shot gun and Collins had an M16 A2 rifle, with Forde and another officer behind.

In his video interview, Morgan was asked if he had discharged the firearm he was carrying that night, to which he replied in the affirmative.

In the interview, Morgan also said he only recognized it was Edwards after the incident occurred.

He said he was the only person who helped to pick up Edwards and carry him to the police transport on the main road.

While in the transport, Morgan said Edwards was praying.

“I hold his hand and I was just telling him to remain conscious. He was praying plenty.”

Just outside the courthouse, following the close of the case, Edwards and Morgan were seen embracing each other.

“I have nothing against you. I know you didn’t wilfully shoot me. You are still my friend,” Edwards said.

Edwards also said that he had to find money to go to Barbados to seek treatment for his arm.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Front Page
    US confirms strike against boat off SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    FISHERMEN and other users of the sea in St Lucia and St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), are said to be on edge following a lethal US military strike...
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader questions silence of Caribbean leaders in face of on-going military strikes
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has taken the Dr. Godwin Friday-led government to task over its silence on the destruction of an apparent fish...
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Front Page
    Opposition response to Budget weak and confused – PM Friday
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    PRIME MINISTER Dr. Godwin Friday said the opposition responded to the New Democratic Party’s (NDP) fiscal package saying that it is going to make peop...
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Front Page
    Police Probe Valentine’s Day Brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    WHAT EXACTLY CAUSED a brawl that seemingly began in the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) outlet on Bay Street and spilled onto the streets of Kingstown is...
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Front Page
    Major’s sights set firmly on eradicating gang culture in SVG
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER and Minister of National Security, Major St Clair Leacock, is firm in his resolve to rid St Vincent and the Grenadines of gang c...
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, said Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday has used ChatGPT to help write his 2026 Budget speech. ChatGPT is describ...
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    News
    PM Friday used ChatGPT to write his budget speech – Gonsalves
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, said Prime Minister Dr. Godwin Friday has used ChatGPT to help write his 2026 Budget speech. ChatGPT is describ...
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    News
    A Budget without Growth Drivers, says ULP Senator
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    OPPOSITION SENATOR Carlos James, has issued a stark warning regarding the new government’s fiscal roadmap, characterising the 2026 Budget as a dizzyin...
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    From the Courts, News
    Redemptions Sharpes labourer charged with wounding
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    A 56-YEAR-OLD labourer of Redemption Sharpes who is charged with the offense of wounding, was granted bail when he appeared in court on Friday, Februa...
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    News
    New Administration plans to spread out cancer screening
    Webmaster 
    February 17, 2026
    THE GOVERNMENT HAS promised to implement screening and support this year for breast cancer, cervical cancer, as well as prostate and colon cancers. Th...
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    News
    National Heroes and Heritage Month, 2026 Programme of activities unveiled
    Webmaster 
    February 13, 2026
    THE 2026 PROGRAMME of activities to celebrate National Heroes and Heritage Month was unveiled at a media launch on Tuesday, February 10, 2026 at the U...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok