NACAC president refutes Ballantyne’s claims
President of the North American, Central American and Caribbean Athletics Association (NACAC) Victor Lopez is refuting claims that he had a conversation with Vincentian athlete and coach Pamenos Ballantyne over funds allegedly sent to Team Athletics SVG for the hosting of the then NACAC OECS Road Relay Classic.{{more}}
Ballantyne had publicly ridiculed the operations of Team Athletics SVG, including making comments about funds he alleged were sent to the athletics body for the now disbanded Road Relay Classic.
The veteran long distance athlete had repeatedly alleged that US$25,000 was sent to the local athletics body for the event. His allegations were made on two local radio stations last month, as well as on a local online news outlet.
Ballantyneâs claims resulted in Team Athletics SVGâs secretary Tyrone James seeking clarification from Lopez.
In a letter dated October 26, 2016, Lopez wrote: âI will clarify the following: That the NACAC San Juan office records on file, do not include any allocation of funds for the Round D Town Road Relay since August 2013, when I became President of NACAC AA and Area Representative…The only records that we have on file are awarding grants to The Team Athletics SVG is for the NACAC Chatoyer 10K Road Race in 2015 and 2016.â
SEARCHLIGHT understands that the funds received were in the region of EC$25,000.
Ballantyne, who travelled as athlete/coach to the NACAC Petit Bourg Guadeloupe 10K in 2014, 2015 and 2016, said that in 2014, Lopez had mentioned the funds in the presence of Linda Mc Dowall and Meshach Dublin, two other Vincentian athletes, who were part of the race.
âAs far I as recall I have never discussed any financial affairs with Mr Ballantyne in any NACAC 10K Road Race held in Guadeloupe…Indeed (i) have not attended this competition in 2015 and 2016,â Lopez said in his letter to Team Athletics.
The NACACâs presidentâs letter was copied to president of Team Athletics SVG, as well as IAAF president â Sebastian Coe.(RT)