From the Courts
December 30, 2016
Biabou man fined for escaping from police custody

A Biabou man was fined on Wednesday after he jumped through a window at the Biabou Police Station in order to escape police custody.

Mokeesh Davis was charged that on December 26, 2016, he escaped lawful custody at the Biabou Police Station, when he appeared before the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court.

Police say that Davis was at the police station on an assault charge. While there, he asked to use the bathroom. However, instead of doing so, he jumped out of the window and fled from the station.

Davis was apprehended by police in Biabou the following day, and when he appeared before the court on Wednesday, he was fined EC$500, in default, six months imprisonment.

His sentence comes about one month after Keon Scott was sentenced to 12 months in prison for committing the same crime.

The Glen resident turned himself in and was charged that on November 10, 2016, while being in lawful custody, he did escape from such custody.

Scott, 30, was on remand at Her Majesty’s Prison (HMP), White Chapel Road and had been brought to court to make an appearance, having been charged for having a .38 revolver, along with six rounds of .38 ammunition without a licence.

During a police briefing at Police Headquarters in Kingstown following Scott’s escape, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) in charge of crimes Frankie Joseph said that Scott is considered armed and dangerous and must not be approached.

The ACP said that Scott has been charged several times in the past with firearm and ammunition offences.

However, in an interview with SEARCHLIGHT, Scott disclosed that he escaped police custody because he feared that his life was in danger from an inmate he knew at the prison.

Additionally, his lawyer Linton Lewis was adamant this is client was not armed and dangerous and that the police had no proof of such.

According to Lewis, Scott is not a violent person and he willingly turned himself in. (AS)