Introduction of U-13  football competition  paying dividends – Coombs
Sports
December 8, 2015

Introduction of U-13 football competition paying dividends – Coombs

President of the St Vincent and the Grenadines Football Federation (SVGFF) Venold Coombs says the introduction of the Under-13 football competitions by his administration is why youth football is moving in the right direction.{{more}}

Not one to be shy about blowing his own trumpet, Coombs told those present at the Victoria Park last Wednesday at the schools’ final, “… The programmes you have at our national level [are] geared towards you the youngsters… Since I get back into football and get the grassroots going island-wide and introduce the Under-13, you are on the right path, you are the future.”

He noted that with this, the future is bright for football.

Coombs projected that players from the four teams that reached the semi-finals would be persons to look out for in the future.

“Ten years down the road, watch and see where the quality football gonna come… Look and see where you gonna see your cream for football and I say no more,” Coombs asserted.

The four semi-finalists were the Lodge Village Government, the Kingstown Preparatory, the Layou Government and the Cane End Government, who finished in that order.

Coombs stated that part of the plans for youth football will be regular camps at the Technical Centre at Brighton for the elite bunch.

The primary schools competition was re-introduced last year and is played on a nine-a-side format. One stipulation of that competition is that a female player must be on the field at all times.(RT)