Weekend showers predicted from first Tropical Wave in the 2024 Hurricane season
Press Release
May 25, 2024

Weekend showers predicted from first Tropical Wave in the 2024 Hurricane season

St. Vincent and the Grenadines can anticipate some rain this weekend due to the first tropical wave of the upcoming hurricane season, which was analysed on Wednesday, May 220 2024,  over the Central Atlantic.

SVG’s Meteorological Service’s weather outlook, states that the wave’s axis was currently located 1,170 miles east of the islands and is expected to affect them from late Saturday into Sunday.

The latest guidance from SVG Met indicates that light to moderate showers are expected under cloudy skies, with a slight chance of isolated thunderstorms.

SVG Met described a Tropical Wave as a weather disturbance found in the Easterly Trade winds which usually moves across the Atlantic between 10-23 mph and can be associated with cloudiness, showers and thunderstorms.

Grenada is also expected to be affected by the passing of this tropical wave.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration(NOAA) National Weather Service forecasters predict above-normal hurricane activity in the Atlantic basin this year.

NOAA’s outlook for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season, which spans from June 1 to November 30, indicates an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season, and a 5% chance of a below-normal season.

NOAA is forecasting a total of 17 to 25 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher). Of these, 8 to 13 are expected to become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 4 to 7 major hurricanes (category 3, 4, or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher).

The 2024 Atlantic hurricane season is predicted to be above-normal due to near-record warm Atlantic Ocean temperatures; the transition from El Nino to La Nina conditions; reduced Atlantic trade winds; less wind shear; and high oceanic heat content in the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean. These factors collectively favour tropical storm formation and development.

The names of this year’s Atlantic Tropical Cyclone are; Alberto, Beryl, Chris, Debby, Ernesto, Francine, Gordon, Helene, Isaac, Joyce, Kirk, Leslie, Milton, Nadine, Oscar, Patty, Rafael, Sara, Tony, Valerie, William.