Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Residents pleased with sea defence work at Salt Whistle Bay
Placement of a combination of boulders and Geotextile material along the contour of the erosion at Salt Whistle Bay, Mayreau.
News
September 18, 2020

Residents pleased with sea defence work at Salt Whistle Bay

Mayreau residents are satisfied with the temporary emergency coastal protection works completed by Kelectric Company Ltd at Salt Whistle Bay, and are looking forward to the promised permanent solution.

Businessman Munro Forde

Businessman Munro Forde who, along with the Mayreau Regatta Committee, has been leading the community effort to see that the erosion at the world class Salt Whistle Bay is addressed, told Searchlight that Kelectric’s machinery and workers left two weeks ago, and it appears that they have finished.

According to a contract for the emergency coastal protection works, signed between the Government and Kelectric Company

We are hoping at some point in time a more permanent and attractive one would be put in place as they promised but definitely for now it would serve the purpose. Ltd on July 7 of this year, the work was scheduled to be completed on September 7.

“Completely a big difference. Once the defence was put in place, it completely slowed the force of the water from projecting,” Forde explained.

“As it is, it would work… as they say, it’s a temporary fix, while a more permanent one is being studied,” he commented. “We are hoping at some point in time a more permanent and attractive one would be put in place as they promised but definitely for now it would serve the purpose.”

During a sitting of Parliament on June 22, in providing an update on the situation at Salt Whistle Bay, Minister of Finance Camillo Gonsalves noted that $1.3 million had been allocated in the 2020 budget to address it. Government’s intention was to spend $300,000 this year, and $1 million in 2021.

A long-term solution, which involves reinforcing the natural reef, would take a long time. Nonetheless, the Minister said that tidal and bathymetric studies among other things are ongoing so as to devise “an optimal and attractive long term solution to the problem.”

Professionals visited the island on May 31 to determine a short-term solution, which they found would involve placement of a combination of boulders and geotextile material along the contour of the erosion.

There has been no stormy weather on the island recently to see how well the temporary protection works. Stormy activity was dreaded before the boulders were put in place, as it was the opinion of some that only one storm was needed for the isthmus to be lost to the sea.

While the Mayreau residents were not consulted before the temporary sea defence began, they are hoping for consultation when the state is ready to put a permanent solution in place.

“No one could explain what has actually transpired up there over the past years. No one would be able to do that better than us because we are the ones who were there and witnessed that deterioration from its start and up to now,” Forde stated.

The erosion was carefully monitored by the Mayreau residents over the years, many of whom earn their living by operating at the Salt Whistle Bay.

In fact, after the situation became very concerning to them, “Operation Save Salt Whistle” commenced in May, which saw a combined effort on the part of the community to place conch shells along the eroded area as a sort of natural barrier.

They were asked to cease this activity by the Minister when he spoke in Parliament on June 22, but not before hundreds of conch shells had been sourced from the nearby Grenadine islands.

Munro Forde said a GoFundMe account was set up by Nigel Forde, to which 32 donors gave US$3175. Of this, US$900 was used in the purchasing of gasoline, and nourishment for those involved in transporting conch shells to the area.

The rest of the funds are said to be still in the GoFundMe account, as the intention was to wait until the Government followed up on their promise. Suggestions are being made for the use of the rest of the funds in other areas where financial assistance is required on Mayreau.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok