Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Woman threatened for reporting rape to police
News
January 10, 2020

Woman threatened for reporting rape to police

by Lyf Compton

Having to deal with the sexual assault of one’s 10-year-old daughter is one thing, but dealing with threats coming from the relatives of the person who is alleged to have committed the crime is quite another.

That is the position in which a woman in her 20s has been placed, and on Sunday the stress of the situation had her contemplating suicide.

The woman, who reached out to SEARCHLIGHT last Sunday, said on the first day of the Nine Mornings festival last December, her daughter told her that she had something to tell her, but asked that she not be spanked.

“She woke and told me, ‘Duh beat me’ and she told me the boy touch her and I didn’t know what to do,” the distraught woman told SEARCHLIGHT.

The “boy” being referred to is a 21-year-old relative of the woman’s boyfriend. The mother says that her daughter told her that the man had tried to have sex with her on one occasion and on another occasion succeeded in inserting his penis into her vagina.

The mother said on hearing the gut-wrenching news, she took her daughter to the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital (MCMH) where she was referred to the Questelles Police Station where the Sexual Offences Unit is located.

She said her daughter was checked by a doctor and it was confirmed that she had been raped.

The mother said that when the police investigations began, family members of the accused began issuing threats.

“The family members keep coming at me and the child…saying things like I should deal with it as a family matter and they would help me with money…one of them waved a cutlass at her (the 10-year-old girl) and calling me and telling me all sorts of things,” the mother revealed to SEARCHLIGHT.

She said the threats have been coming not only from relatives in St Vincent and the Grenadines but also from some living overseas. The angry mother said she has reported the threats to the police, and they have issued warning to at least one of the relatives.

The aggrieved woman noted also that the alleged attacker of her daughter was charged and taken to the Family Court on Wednesday morning and was offered bail.

She however received a strange phone call after the court appearance.

“A relative of his called and asked me how the person getting bail; they don’t have papers or anything for the land, but I just hang up my phone,” the woman said.

On Wednesday, she appeared on Hot 97.1 FM’s AM Mayhem radio show with Luke Boyea, Chris “2 Kool” Jones and Charles “Colombian” Villareal to speak about the incident, but after highlighting her situation she said she was told by a social worker that she should not have gone public.

“Someone from welfare say I not supposed to do what I doing (going public) and the child can be taken from me for that,” the mother reported, while adding that during her public statements she did not say her name, her daughter’s name or the name of the alleged attacker or any of the man’s relatives.

She said she went public with her story so that persons can be made aware of the dangers that exist and to be more careful with children.

SEARCHLIGHT visited the Social Welfare Department on Wednesday to enquire about the caution the woman said she received. However, a senior member of staff said she does not know who told the distraught woman that she should not have gone public, but the matter will be investigated.

The worker added that saying that to someone who is dealing with trauma was wrong, as persons deal with situations differently.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Press Release
    SVG still awaiting official confirmation from US on ‘Drone strike’
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Official confirmation is still being sought by the government of St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) in relation to a “deeply troubling” drone strike ...
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Front Page
    Senator proud to be a child of the Education Revolution
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    While Government Senator, Jamalie John stood in Parliament during the 2026 National Budget debate to make clear that he was no child of the ‘Education...
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Front Page
    US asks SVG to take third-country deportees
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) has been officially approached by the United States of America (USA) in relation to accommodating third-country d...
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Front Page
    Police and barber walk free from wounding charge
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    A Police Constable, and a barber who were charged in relation to an incident that occurred at Langley Park on Friday, February 13, 2026 walked free wh...
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Front Page
    Dr. Gonsalves soon to release another publication
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The regional academic community can expect several more books from Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, in the coming months. Among them will be one...
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central  Windward – Senator Neptune
    News
    Opposition Leader misled the people of North Central Windward – Senator Neptune
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    The candidate for the victorious New Democratic Party in the 2025 general elections, Chieftan Neptune has claimed Opposition Leader Dr. Ralph Gonsalve...
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    News
    Young men await sentencing following brawl in Kingstown
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Three teenagers and a 23-year-old who were charged following a violent brawl in Kingstown on Friday, February 13, 2026 appeared in court on Tuesday, F...
    Bodies to be exhumed
    News
    Bodies to be exhumed
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    Funds have been allocated in the 2026 Budget for over 100 bodies to be exhumed and reburied across St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). This was annou...
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    News
    Spiritual Baptist group visits the former Prime Minister
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    “In a nation rich with Spiritual Baptist heritage, the voices of its youth have too often gone unheard. Recognising this gap, Bishop Andres Quow and S...
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    News
    Rolled ice cream business is the rave
    Webmaster 
    February 20, 2026
    by Grace Francis A 27-year-old Vincentian entrepreneur has introduced what is believed to be the first rolled ice cream machine to St Vincent and the ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok