Jahjus Steele’s mother seeking answers as to why he was killed
May 10, 2013

Jahjus Steele’s mother seeking answers as to why he was killed

Slain Rose Place resident Devon Jahjus Steele should have travelled to Santo Domingo yesterday, to meet up with his wife. Instead, his family are seeking answers as to why the 33-year-old was shot dead on May 5.{{more}}

Steele’s mother, Sharon Steele, is still trying to come to terms with the tragic loss of her first son and is baffled as to who would want to kill him.

The 33-year-old father of four was gunned down in the wee hours of the morning in Rose Place. He is said to have sustained gunshot wounds to the back of his head and chest.

The grieving mother, who resides in the United States, told SEARCHLIGHT in a telephone interview that she received the dreaded news that her son had been killed at about 3:26 a.m. on May 5.

“My sister called and told me they killed Jahjus. I started to have a panic attack and even after that, I still didn’t want to believe this was happening. It wasn’t true…,” Steele said.

The mother of four, who has been living in the US for the past 15 years, said she last spoke to her son just two days prior to his death.

“I spoke to him the Friday, and on Saturday, he was texting me all day, but I refused to call him, because I know he was calling me to ask for some money as usual…

“I was on the job, so I say when I finish work, I will call him.”

She said when they spoke, Devon asked her for some money and for her to bring his son to St Vincent when she was coming for Carnival.

“He told me to bring him down for Carnival and when he comes back from Santo Domingo, he would meet him because I would be in St Vincent before him…”

She said her son already had his ticket to travel to Santo Domingo to meet up with his wife.

Sadly, Devon was killed and Steele had to move up the date of her travel.

She is expected to arrive in the state today.

Describing her son, Steele said he was “noisy” person, who has run afoul of the law in the past.

“He got into trouble already and people shoot him, but he never retaliate. I never heard about him shoot up people or anything like that. He did get into trouble, but in the later stages, I noticed he was trying to change himself…,” Steele mentioned.

She said Devon was a person who cursed a lot and was “hyper”.

“He used to take on petty things. I used to tell Jahjus don’t worry about people… Physically, to go and do somebody anything. I don’t think Jahjus ever do anybody anything that was detrimental,” she said.

It is now her hope that whoever is responsible for her son’s death is brought to justice.

“They need to pay for it, by law. Always remember, when you think you hurt one person, you hurt a lot of people. You don’t give life, so you can’t take life,” Steele added.

She implored persons to learn to settle their differences amicably.

Jajus lived in the US for a while before returning to St Vincent and then moved to Canada before coming back to St Vincent.

Police are still investigating the matter. (KW)