Chateaubelair fire almost leaves four homeless
August 12, 2011
Chateaubelair fire almost leaves four homeless

Quick action by villagers saved a family the total loss of their home Wednesday afternoon around four.{{more}}

The four bedroom split level home is shared by Claudine Samuel, her son Dyson and her two granddaughters Faydonna and two year old Miia, who was at home with her uncle at the time of the fire.

The fire occurred in the top Sharpes village section of Chateaubelair, in an area called Coco.

Neighbours reported that they saw the blaze around four. Dyson was in the top level of the house when neighbours called him out. He was able to get Miia, who was oblivious to what was going on, out of the house, then he began to attack the flames with buckets of water from the sink that was in the yard.

Ages Brown soon joined the fight, then other neighbours began to fight the fire from the neighbouring yard, by which time the lower section of the house was totally engulfed.

After a hose was attached, Brown entered the still burning building and put out the fires that were burning under the roof, bringing the fire under control.

Claudine, who is also known as Pation, is a home health care worker. She was on her way home from work when she learnt that her home was on fire.

She arrived around 4:30 just as the last flames were being put out. While neighbours tried to comfort her, Pation stared in shock at her wrecked home.

The lower level of the home was completely gutted along with all appliances and furniture. However, the top section only suffered water and smoke damage.