Family requests ongoing prayers for Sir James
Sir James Mitchell
Front Page
November 9, 2021

Family requests ongoing prayers for Sir James

Sir James Mitchell continues to be warded at the Intensive Care Unit(ICU) of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Barbados, and his family, grateful for the love and support being received, is asking for continued thoughts and prayers. 

 In a statement issued on Monday, November 8, the family confirmed that Sir James, “continues to receive excellent care and attention from the doctors and nurses and in particular from Dr Fakoory (head of ICU) and Dr Emtage as well as one of our very own, Vincentian Dr. Wilson.”

 Beside him over the last week have been daughters Louise and Sabrina, while daughters Gretel and Gabija flew into Barbados from Toronto and London yesterday in order to be with him.

The 90-year-old former long-serving Prime Minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines(SVG) “continues to enjoy having his favourite song ‘Don’t Cry for me Argentina’ played for him daily, as well as having hymns and other favourite songs sung to him and prayers read, as well as poems including a new favourite ‘Chant for the Bequia Easter Regatta,’ by Richard Dey.”

He has been reciting an evening prayer with his daughters, the words of which are included in the statement. 

The prayer reads: “O Lord Support us All the day long, until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done. Then in thy mercy grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at last.”
“Amen!” Sir James says after each reading. 

In conclusion, the family said, “There has been an overwhelming outpouring of love and support from people at home and all over the world and for this the family is very grateful and humbled. We ask that you continue to lift him up in your thoughts and prayers.”

Sir James has been experiencing many health challenges including infection, kidney failure, gallstones and an enlarged prostate, and was diagnosed on November 1 with Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever. 

He was initially being treated at a hospital in Bequia, but was transferred on Saturday October 30, to the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital(MCMH) when he experienced a severe bout of vomiting. 

On Wednesday, November 3, he was flown out to Barbados for further treatment.