Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • From the Courts
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Prof. J Robinson – Eye of the Needle
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
GIBSON FIRED!
Front Page
February 23, 2007

GIBSON FIRED!

Michael Gibson has been bowled out. His firm, Gibson Construction Ltd. (GCL) which was hired to construct the new double-decker stand at the Arnos Vale Sporting Complex has been fired from the job, and the veteran contractor of 21 years is confused about the timing of the decision.

Gibson told SEARCHLIGHT that he received a letter by fax on Monday evening stating that he had been fired for “non performance.”{{more}}

Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) of Cricket World Cup, Mike Findlay told SEARCHLIGHT that Gibson had repeatedly missed deadlines and has even failed to do work based on revised instructions issued by LOC’s architects, TVA consultants, on January 26.

“Our architects issued an architect’s instruction to GCL outlining the alternative measures to be undertaken immediately. No work was done in accordance to those instructions,” Findlay said.

Findlay said that because of the missed deadlines, the completion of the double-decker stand had become critical, hence the decision taken to relieve the firm of that part of their contract.

Along with the double-decker stand, Gibson had also been contracted to work on the media centre and the new bleachers’ section, which were all running behind schedule.

The media centre was to be completed by last November, the bleachers since last April, while December 31st was the original deadline set for the double-decker stand.

While admitting that he was behind schedule, Gibson told SEARCHLIGHT that if he was fired four or five months ago the LOC would have had a case.

“But now, when the stand is 94 per cent ready, why now,” he asked, adding that what upset him also was the unprofessional way in which his company was dismissed.

Gibson said that according to the contract, he should have been dismissed by registered mail. He however said that when he received the notice, his men stopped working and started moving some materials from the site on Tuesday.

“They brought police to stop me from moving the material,” he said.

But Findlay said that the faxed letter was sent “to get it to him as soon as possible but the original was to follow,” so he did not understand Gibson’s concerns.

The former West Indies wicketkeeper who had warned in November that he was willing to make unpopular decisions to ensure that the venue was ready for the World Cup said that several key aspects of the work at the double-decker stand remained unfinished.

“The most critical areas requiring urgent attention are the concourse under the double-decker pavilion and the area behind the pavilion on the ground level which must be cleared of all construction material and debris to enable work on the roadway under the pavilion as well as the broadcast compound to proceed,” Findlay said

He also identified the toilets, window systems and side wall as sore points.

The International Cricket Conference (ICC) inspection team had expressed its total disappointment at the pace of progress of the stand in November.

“We have to be frank, we are disappointed in how it’s coming along,” ICC’s Venues Development Officer Don Lockerbie had said.

“I would have been handing it over within the two weeks, some of our set back was the late instructions we got from the architects,” Gibson claimed.

“There were several attempts made to remove us before and I am trying to understand why,” Gibson said.

Gibson is adamant that his company did well against the odds. He claimed that several things, including late placement of the steel structure, cement and labour shortage hindered his progress.

“My workers feel betrayed after working so hard,” he said and told SEARCHLIGHT that he is weighing his options as regards his plan of action.

“I am playing it by ear,” he said, adding that it was the first time in his career that he had suffered such an indignity.

Findlay however said that the contract had been turned over to a new company, OECC, the company that constructed the players’ pavilion and the administration building.

The firm which began work last Wednesday, has given the LOC the assurance that the double-decker stand will be ready by February 25, in time for the official opening ceremony for the reopening of the Arnos Vale Sporting Complex on February 27.

“We have tried with Gibson, but each time he kept missing completion dates,” said Findlay, who also stated that the LOC might have waited too long to make this crucial move.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Every Child Learns Differently: A Message for Our Schools and Society
    Features
    Every Child Learns Differently: A Message for Our Schools and Society
    Webmaster 
    August 13, 2026
    By Dr. Kerlester Johnney As a teacher, I have learned one of the most important lessons of my career: children do not all learn in the same way, at th...
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...
    NASCAR’s Rajah Caruth on historic homecoming to SVG
    Front Page
    NASCAR’s Rajah Caruth on historic homecoming to SVG
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    THE St.Vincent and the Grenadines Tourism Authority (SVGTA) is waiting proudly to welcome home Rajah Caruth, professional NASCAR driver and Sporting A...
    Prime Minister Friday heads SVG delegation to Taiwan
    Front Page
    Prime Minister Friday heads SVG delegation to Taiwan
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    PRIME MINISTER Godwin Friday is leading a delegation on an official visit to the Republic of China (Taiwan) as the two countries mark 45 years of dipl...
    Cane Garden lass is new Miss SVG Teen
    Front Page
    Cane Garden lass is new Miss SVG Teen
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    MISS CANE GARDEN Hannah Archibald, is Miss St Vincent and the Grenadines Teen 2026. Archibald took the crown from among seven young ladies who compete...
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    News
    Rehabilitation Works continuing on Fort Charlotte
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    The Government of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, through the World Bank-funded Unleashing the Blue Economy of the Caribbean (UBEC) Project, has reaff...
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    News
    Fresh information released in Garifuna prisoners of war exhibition
    Jada 
    August 12, 2026
    While most Vincentians know that approximately 5000 Garifuna and Kalinago people were rounded up and forcibly exiled by the British to Balliceaux in 1...
    Prince gets suspended sentence over money brawl
    News
    Prince gets suspended sentence over money brawl
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    A GREIGGS MAN who struck another man about his body with a cutlass before forcing the weapon into his mouth, has been given a suspended prison sentenc...
    Gunman killed in Rockies
    News
    Gunman killed in Rockies
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    LESS THAN A week after being released from His Majesty’s Prison (HMP) Ackeem Ferdinand was shot and killed inside his home at Rockies giving real life...
    Men 40 to 49 years make up the bulk of the prison population
    From the Courts, News
    Men 40 to 49 years make up the bulk of the prison population
    Webmaster 
    August 11, 2026
    Middle-aged men continue to constitute the largest bloc of the prison population in St.Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG). Superintendent of Prisons Dwa...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok