Front Page
September 24, 2004


by William ‘Kojah’ Anthony
and Ashford Peters

POLICE here are announcing a breakthrough in the case of a dreadlocked Vincentian found dead on Carenage (Canash) beach last week.
Now two Trinidadians are facing murder charges here. Twenty-five-year-old Nigel Arneaud and Anthony Anderson, also known as Michael Richardson were charged last Wednesday when they appeared before Chief Magistrate Simone Churaman at the Serious Offences Court in Kingstown. {{more}}
The duo are charged with murder of the 18-year-old Jamal Williams of Bottom Coconut Range and are scheduled to reappear before the court on November 18 this year for the start of the preliminary inquiries.
Williams’ body was found Thursday, September 16, around 5.30 p.m. with a gunshot wound to the forehead and stab-wounds to his chest and hands.
Arneaud and Anderson were not required to plea to the indictable charge and were remanded in custody.
Williams’ murder brings to fourteen the number of murders committed here for the year.
Police have now solved eight of the homicides, leaving six yet unsolved.
Williams, popularly known as ‘Bawaw,’ left home last Tuesday after receiving a telephone call. His mother Elizabeth was reluctant to talk when contacted as it seemed she and other close members of the family had more than the grief of their son’s death to contend with. The mother said she was terrified of being photographed, because “they were sending threats to the family.”
“We are very hurt. We are not pleased. We want justice,’ Williams said.
Friends of the murder victim recall hearing him in conversation with someone over the telephone before he left the area.
The arrest of the suspects followed a frantic trail after the commission of the crime and was sheer luck. Reports say some very alert immigration officers ran into the suspects in a vehicle travelling in the wrong direction on a one-way street the same night Williams had gone missing. The very distinctive Trinidadian accent was the factor which caused the immigration officers to pay more attention to the occupants of the vehicle and close in on them.
It was therefore only left to investigators from the Serious Crime Unit to do the rest.