Buccament man caught at Grenadines wharf with unlicensed firearm
Kimkie Roberts
From the Courts, News
October 6, 2023

Buccament man caught at Grenadines wharf with unlicensed firearm

A Buccament man was jailed after he was found in possession of an unlicensed firearm loaded with two rounds of ammunition in his bag, while in Kingstown.

Kimkie Roberts, 43 will be spending the next one year and 10 months in jail after he appeared at the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court before Magistrate John Ballah on October 3, 2023 and pleaded guilty to the gun charges.

Roberts was charged that on October 2, 2023 in Kingstown, he had in his possession two rounds of .22 ammunition without a license issued under the Firearm Act. He was also charged that on the same day at Grenadines Wharf, Kingstown, he had in his possession one .22 mm Calwesto Firearm without a License issued under the Firearm Act.

The facts, which were read by Prosecutor Corlene Samuel stated that on the given date at about 7:50 am, PC 453 Richardson and PC 636 Toney were on duty at Grenadines Wharf, Kingstown and were stationed at Gate Five.

While there, PC Richardson was searching persons who were travelling to the Grenadines, and saw Roberts and one other male walking towards the gate.

As the men entered the gate, Richardson approached them and identified himself and PC Toney as police officers dressed in the uniform of the Port Security Unit. Richardson told them of his duties and requested a search of both them and their luggage which they were carrying.

However, Roberts was reluctant.

Richardson found Roberts’ actions to be suspicious, so he insisted on conducting a search of Roberts and his belongings. Richardson then took the defendant inside the security booth and searched him in the presence of Toney, but nothing illegal was found on him.

However, when Richardson searched Robert’s black Puma bag, a black and silver firearm was found which was showed to Roberts. Richardson then cautioned Roberts who placed his hands on his head and said nothing. Richardson then made safe the firearm by removing its magazine and observed that the firearm was loaded with two rounds of .22 ammunition.

Richardson further observed the firearm to be a .22 firearm, and so he arrested Roberts under suspicion of Possession of an Unlicensed Firearm and Ammunitions and took him to the Criminal Investigation Department.

Richardson later confirmed that the firearm and ammunition were indeed unlicensed, and that the firearm is in working condition. Richardson later cautioned and interviewed Roberts, however he did not give a statement. Roberts was later arrested and charged for the offences of Possession of an Unlicensed Firearm and Ammunition.

The magistrate referred to the sentencing guidelines and considered the seriousness and consequence of the offence, as well the mitigating and aggravating factors of both the offence and the offender.

As a result, Roberts was sentenced to one year and 10 months for the possession of the unlicensed firearm, and one year and five months for the possession unlicensed ammunition. The sentences are to run concurrently.