Annamay Lewis complains of feeling ‘tortured’
From the Courts
September 10, 2021
Annamay Lewis complains of feeling ‘tortured’

FIFTY-SIX-year-old Annamay Lewis, who now faces a new charge of throwing missile, said she feels as if she’s being tortured.

Lewis, who also has been charged with wounding Prime Minister Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, was arrested by the police on Tuesday from her home in Layou, interviewed, charged and released on station bail.

For the second time in the space of one month, the vendor appeared before the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court(KMC) alongside her lawyer Kay Bacchus-Baptiste.

On Wednesday, September 8, she maintained her innocence to the charge that she, on August 5, by the White Chapel Road in Kingstown, threw missiles to the danger of persons who were present at White Chapel road at that time.

Lewis’ lawyer noted that the matter arises from the same alleged incident, same day, same place, and time as the wounding charge, and reminded the court that the next date for the wounding matter is September 15. She stated that in this case they still haven’t received disclosure from the prosecution, despite the court’s order that it be done by August 31. She asked that disclosure be given shortly, saying that she couldn’t see a problem with this since it has been over a month now and they should be able to comply with this.

The court ordered disclosure by September 13, and adjourned the new matter to September 15.

Outside the courtroom, Lewis was supported by her sister as well as her daughter, who appears to be suffering from an affliction. The 56-year-old’s only comment was that she feels like she is being tortured by “this man”, without specifying who.

The Commissioner of Police (COP) Colin John, speaking Tuesday on the reason for the gap between the charges, noted that the investigations are ongoing.

“…We are looking at videos, we are looking at other evidence. It’s likely that other persons will be charged as well,” he stated.

The protest that has sparked a legal round up took place on August 5, outside the compound of the High Court Building in Kingstown. The protest escalated as the day wore on and in the evening fires were set in the road leading to the prison. As he made his way back to Parliament for the continuation of debate last afternoon, the Prime Minister was struck in the head by an unknown object which had been thrown at him. The blow caused a laceration to the head, and a concussion which was treated at hospitals in St Vincent and Barbados.

Lewis was taken up and appeared in court the following week, having been charged with unlawfully and maliciously wounding the Prime Minister.