Suspect charged with the Salvation Army burglary
THE POLICE HAVE charged one young man in connection with the recent burglary of the Salvation Army’s offices/ church/day-care in Kingstown.
Kyjuan Prince who apparently resides in Kingstown, was taken before the Serious Offences Court(SOC) yesterday, charged that between July 7 and 8 he entered the Salvation Army building as a trespasser and stole $12,077 in cash, the property of the charitable organisation/ church.
Prince entered a ‘not guilty’ plea and was allowed bail in the sum of $13,000 with one surety. Should he make bail, the defendant must report to the Central Police station twice weekly. He will next appear at the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court (KMC) on August 16.
However, the defendant told Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne that he didn’t have anyone to bail him.
Outside the court premises, the irate youngster charged at journalist Kenton Chance, and hurled words at others. He also attempted to expose himself in apparent displeasure at being photographed.
Two weeks ago, one day after the burglary was discovered by Salvation Army workers, Major Ernest Gachelin told SEARCHLIGHT that locks had been broken off, and draws and offices ransacked and thoroughly
searched. The alleged perpetrator even seemed to have done some climbing to get to where he/ she wanted to go, and searched an area in the altar of the church. The culprit also moved a mattress from the day-care and was speculated to have used it after riffling through meticulously, possibly to sleep.
The Salvation Army had meant to deposit the money which was salaries for its workers and savings from one of the church’s groups, as soon as they could, but the thief snatched this away.
This is not the first time the Salvation Army has taken losses, but the hope remains that something will be recovered from this burglary. The Salvation Army church at Calder, was broken into last year May, but whoever was responsible was not discovered.