NLA Chairman wants Insurance coverage for sportspersons
March 22, 2011
NLA Chairman wants Insurance coverage for sportspersons

Chairman of the National Lotteries Authority (NLA) Murray Bullock wants to see an insurance coverage plan instituted for local sportsmen or women, in the event of them falling ill or sustaining injuries.{{more}}

At the National Sports Council’s 2010 National Sports Awards Ceremony on Saturday, March 12, at the Media Center of the Arnos Vale Playing Field, Bullock said: “It is right for us to address in a meaningful way, the provision of universal insurance coverage, that we provide some sort of coverage for our sportsmen and women.”

Bullock added that the coverage should be for athletes who get injured while representing St. Vincent and the Grenadines or participating in some form of sporting events.

Bullock’s comments drew a loud response from those in attendance.

To strengthen his call, Bullock mentioned the case of President of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Taekwondo Association Glenroy Gaymes, who is currently in Trinidad and Tobago, seeking medical treatment for a condition which involves a blood clot and hemorrhage in his head.

Bullock urged persons to support the ventures established to assist Gaymes.

An account has been set up at a local commercial bank, a sponsored walk and other fund-raising events have been organized to assist in defraying Gaymes’ medical costs.

The issue of insurance coverage in sports has been topical for many years, with many sporting organizations attempting to form groups desirous of having coverage.

For sometime now, the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Cricket Association has put in place an Injury Benefit Scheme.

In the scheme, each of the participating teams in its competitions, in addition to their registration fee, pays $300, which was pooled to take care of expenses in cases of injuries sustained by cricketers during matches under the aegis of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines Cricket Association.

However, managers of the injured players must first report the matter to the Secretariat of the SVGCA, before the benefits can be provided.

Football leagues and other sporting organizations which hold competitions, often have fund-raisers for persons who suffer injuries during their respective competitions.(RT)