RSVGPF issues report on vehicular collision in Clare Valley
December 16, 2014
RSVGPF issues report on vehicular collision in Clare Valley

The Royal St Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force, on Friday, December 12, issued a report on the vehicular collision at Clare Valley on December 6, which resulted in the death of one person and injury of 10 others.

Following is the text of the report:

On Saturday December 06, 2014,{{more}} the New Democratic Party was holding a political meeting at Clare Valley.

About 10:50 p.m. on the said date, motor vehicle P-119, which was at the time carrying registration number P-7516, driven by Antwone Quincy Anthony of Questelles, travelled from top Questelles towards Clare Valley. On passing Merline Hill, the vehicle’s engine closed off but the vehicle continued travelling downhill for over 500ft. Anthony reportedly lost control of the vehicle and it collided with a car which was parked in the vicinity of the public meeting.

As a result of the collision, several persons, including Mr Edgar Cruickshank, 78 yrs, of Questelles, were injured. Mr Cruickshank later succumbed to his injuries at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital. At the time of the collision, Anthony’s 4-year-old son, was a passenger in motor vehicle P-119.

A series of inspections were conducted on motor vehicle P-119 by a Gazetted Motor Vehicle Inspector, which revealed the following:

1. The vehicle was registered as P-119 and not P-7516

2. The fan belt which runs the alternator was off and burst

3. The starter relay and starter fuse were tampered with.

Anthony was taken into custody the said night of the accident. He was subsequently arrested and charged with the following offences:

i. Fraudulent use of a vehicle’s identification mark

ii, Failing to renew driving permit on his birthday

iii. Using an unlicensed motor vehicle

iv. Using an uninsured motor vehicle

v. causing the death of Edgar Cruickshank by dangerous driving

He appeared at the Serious Offences Court on December 12, 2014, but was not required to plea to the charges which will be heard Indictably.

Anthony was granted bail in the sum of $40,000.00 with one surety, and was ordered to surrender all travel documents to the Court and cannot leave the State without the permission of the Court. A “Stop Notice” to restrict his movements was also issued to all Ports of Entry and Exit and he is to report to the Questelles Police Station every Monday and Thursday between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.

February 05, 2015 has been set as the date for the next hearing of the charges brought against Anthony.