Whyte’s family needs ‘closure’
October 9, 2012
Whyte’s family needs ‘closure’

The family of Customs Guard Othneil Whyte, who drowned in Union Island on June 3, say they need closure.{{more}}

Abdon Whyte, the guard’s son, who says he is his family’s spokesperson on the incident, his family hopes the coroner’s inquest “can be started as soon as possible because we need to know”.

The family wants answers about the incident that claimed the life of the customs guard, along with three Venezuelans who were shot and killed during a reported shoot-out with a local cop on the Venezuelans’ boat — “El Amigo Fay”.

Whyte said on Clemroy “Bert” Francois’ “Current Affairs” on NICE Radio last week Tuesday that he was the only Spanish-speaker on the wharf in Union Island on the night of June 3.

“And I began questioning the gentlemen and them and … everyone of them said they didn’t know anything about any customs guard on the boat. …

“So, now you are coming and telling me that these men said, ‘Look what happen: We don’t know anything about it. Those two men that came onboard, one was shot and the other one, look him in the wheelchair over there and we don’t know he. He is the one who started all the shooting’?”

He further said if only one gun was on board the boat and “that guy was shot first and that guy fell overboard, why were three other guys shot?”

Whyte also questioned why the Venezuelans were not charged with any crimes in relation to his father’s death.

They were charged with attempting to kidnap and murder the cop — Rohan/Garth DeShong — in addition to Customs offences.

“… our father was on board when the shooting started. … So, once the shooting started, that’s when they attempted to kill the police. … Now, if that is the case, then they attempted to kill my father, too, and they attempted to kidnap him. Which mean they should have been charged with something in relation to that,” Whyte said.

Whyte was also critical of the DPP’s response to a radio announcer’s question about the substance reportedly thrown overboard during the gunfire exchange.

Police initially said they suspected the substance to be cocaine, but later said tests found it to be soap powder.

Asked on September 24 by Hot 97 FM’s Chris “Too Cool” Jones if the substance was in fact soap powder, the DPP said: “That is very curious, isn’t it?”

“What would have been more comforting and what would not have raised so much questions, if he said, ‘The stuff that was recovered. It was given to the police. It was sent to wherever. It was tested and retested and that is what it is. I can’t change that’,” Whyte said.

Whyte also said when the news broke that the charges against the Venezuelans had been discontinued, he failed in his attempts to reach the Prime Minister, the DPP, and Commissioner of Police Keith Miller.

“I didn’t get to speak to any official at all. … And now, I am waiting to see what is going to be done. The Venezuelans were sent back …

“… This whole thing could have been put to an end. … and now you have this thing being raised again and we have to relive this situation and it is something that I, personally, would like to get over with,” Whyte said. (kentonchance@searchlight.vc)