August 26, 2011
Another police officer slapped with criminal charges

Another police officer has found himself on the wrong side of the law.{{more}}

Police Constable Clevorn Castello of Prospect was on Wednesday, August 24, brought before the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court and slapped with three charges.

The charges are that on August 6, 2011, at Kingstown, Castello, without lawful authority, caused to be conveyed to prisoner Uroy Robinson four cigarette lighters, one box of matches and one bomb of cannabis. Castello was also charged with wilfully neglecting to perform his duties as a public servant.

He was also charged with handling $100, knowing or believing it to be stolen, and dishonestly assisting in its disposal.

He pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.

Senior Magistrate Donald Browne granted bail to Castello in the sum of $10,000. He was ordered to report to the Biabou police station on Mondays. He is currently on suspension. The matter was adjourned to November 8 for hearing.

Castello is the fourth police officer to have been charged with a criminal offence in the last four weeks.

The first officer to be charged was Constable Kevin Thompson. He was granted $15,000 bail after appearing at the Family Court on a charge of rape on Tuesday, July 26.

It is alleged that Thompson, who was at the time stationed at the Questelles Police Station, committed the offence while the girl was in police custody.

Two other officers followed Thompson. Vermont resident 30-year-old Anthony Charles and 23-year-old Glenroy Pitt of Chapmans Village appeared before the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court on Monday, August 8, where they pleaded not guilty to stealing $3,600, the property of 52-year-old Andy Bennett of Chateaubelair, who had been in police custody at police headquarters in Kingstown on August 6, 2011.

That matter was adjourned to November 8 after the men were granted $5,000 bail.

SEARCHLIGHT has also been reliably informed that two other police officers are currently under investigation for criminal offences which are also alleged to have taken place at police headquarters in Kingstown.