Mount Coke Church  windows  vandalized
August 12, 2011
Mount Coke Church windows vandalized

Steward of the Georgetown/Mt. Coke Circuit of the Methodist Church, Judith Hull-Ballah, is calling on the persons who have repeatedly vandalized the church windows of the Mount Coke Methodist Church to desist from doing so.{{more}}

Hull-Ballah, in an interview with SEARCHLIGHT on Tuesday, August 9, 2011, said that this is the third time that the

windows have been destroyed. However, there appears to be no sign of entry into the church building. Additionally, nothing was stolen from the premises.

The Circuit Steward stated that on the morning of Wednesday, August 3, 2011, she received a telephone call and was informed about the broken windows at the church. Hull-Ballah added that upon arrival at the church, which is located at Stubbs, she found that eight windows of the church were broken.

“The breakage didn’t look as if it was somebody was breaking to enter to steal. It was as if it was an act of maliciousness,” she said.

The incident is nothing new to the church, having occurred twice in the past. The first time it occurred, just one window was broken; the second time, seven windows were broken. Hull-Ballah said that judging from the way the glass was broken on this occasion, it appears that the person used something to hit the glass.

Describing the incident as strange, Hull-Ballah said it was difficult to say who would commit such an act. She added that such an act of vandalism can only be done by someone ‘crazy” or someone with a ‘bad mind.’

“They may have a grudge with somebody in the church. They won’t hurt you, but they’ll find another way…” she added.

Describing the Mount Coke Methodist Church as one of the thriving churches in the Georgetown to Mount Coke circuit, Hull-Ballah stated that it also has several facilities, including a camp site and church office. Hull-Ballah remains baffled as to who would want to commit such an act. She added that it costs the church a great deal to replace the windows. The windows were replaced by the members of the church, she said.

She added that a security system exists on the premises. However, there was a glitch in the system at the time the incident occurred. The system, Hull-Ballah explained, was installed the second time that the church’s windows were broken.

Hull-Ballah said that the leaders of the church are looking at ways to move ahead and solve the problem.