August 24, 2010
Woman robbed at gunpoint after paying water bill

Marva Jordan is still in a state of shock after she was robbed at gunpoint in the vicinity of the entrance to the Botanic Garden on Thursday, August 19.{{more}}

The 35-year-old woman was returning from the Central Water and Sewerage Authority (CWSA), where she had gone to pay a bill, when she was robbed approximately 9: 45 a.m.

“I had finished paying the water bill and was on the outside of Water Authority waiting for a van. Three vans passed and they were full so I decided to walk down,” said Jordon.

While walking on the side walk, the young woman said she was poked in the waist with something. She noted that when she looked, a man that she had seen earlier at the CWSA’s entrance, stood pointing a gun at her.

She said the man, approximately 5’5” in height, was wearing a red jersey and blue jean pants.

“He said, ‘give me what you have’,” Jordon recalled.

She said after relieving her of her purse, which had $463, the young man ran towards the Montrose area.

Jordan said although she was terrified she got more upset when a police officer, travelling on the same route in vehicle G10, stopped but did not offer any help.

“A few seconds after the guy robbed me I saw a police transport so I ran out into the street. I could not hold up and I was crying as I held on to the vehicle. He (the police officer) asked where the person went when I told him what happened.

“He told me I will have to go to CID. I’m not saying that he should have gone after the guy, but he should have helped me by taking me to the Montrose Police Station or called,” said Jordan.

“He drove off and left me there,” she added.

“All now I am really upset. I can’t believe the police is there to protect people but he drove off and told me to catch a van,” said Jordan.

She, however, noted that the officers at the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) were very kind to her and treated her well, as they calmed her.

This is the second time Jordan has been robbed in recent months.

On March 20, she and a male friend were robbed at Cedars by two masked men, as they were about to attend a karioke session.The robbers took her gold chain and her cellular phone, and chopped her friend on his left hand with a cutlass.