Hey Rosie!
May 31, 2013

My ex wants over $15,000 before he goes

Hey Rosie,

I am 32 years old and I need some serious advice. I am living on my own with my three kids. I have been in a relationship for some years, but last year I ended the relationship and decided to move on with my life.{{more}}

I have a child for the man I ended the relationship with. While we were together, he invested $10,000 in renovating my house. He now refuses to leave and is demanding that I pay him $15,000 to $20,000 before he goes.

Financially, I don’t have it because what little I work for is just enough to take care of my three children and support my home.

Please help ASAP

Dear Please help ASAP,

This IS serious, to the point that you need legal help. If you are in the US, you may be able to get free or very low cost legal advice in your state, so google that please. If you are in the Caribbean, you should ask your local law enforcement for guidance about low cost legal aid.

Having said that, these are my questions: How long did you live together? Does he pay child support? Did you have a joint account? Were you essentially living like a common-law couple? This may change things in terms of what he can sue you for.

At the end of the day, at least see if you can get a legal mediator to sit with both of you to come to some sort of an agreement. I applaud you for moving on and it seems as though he may be still a little bruised and this “may” be his way of getting back at you. So, seek legal help, my friend. It may cost you a bit now, but it will clear up a lot of confusion down the road.

Keep your head up. I suspect you’ve chosen the right path.


Send questions to Rosie at: heyrosie24@yahoo.com or

P.O Box 152, Kingstown,

St Vincent & the Grenadines.