Front Page
January 30, 2009
Bullet to neck ends young man’s life

Ashley “Semore” Warren was a hustler, rearing pigs and selling fruits, among other things. Apparently, not all his hustling was done on the right side of the law!{{more}}

Police believe that the 29-year-old father of two’s involvement in the illegal drug trade may have led to his shooting death around 2 p.m. on Thursday, January 22, at Long Wall, Kingstown.

Information is that Warren, of Largo Heights, who has a previous drugs conviction, and another man whose name was given as “Pedro”, left the fruit stall that he operated on the seafront at the Leeward Bus Terminal around 1 p.m., after receiving a phone call.

When they reached at the Long Wall area, Warren left “Pedro” in the car, P9285, a Nissan Primera, and went on his business.

Shortly after, a shot rang out!

Warren was shot on the left side of his neck.

Reports said that he rushed to the car and sat in the driver’s seat but was unable to drive.

His companion then had to come around to the driver’s side and drove the car to the Central Police Station.

Kyron Bailey consoles his sister Wendy at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital shortly after they got the news that their adopted brother Ashley Warren had died.

As the police rushed Warren to the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital (MCMH) from in front of the station, rumour had spread that police had shot Warren, which was inaccurate.

“We were all there (at the fruit stall) laughing and talking, then he got a phone call, then he told me he going home,” said Warren’s girlfriend Faye Arrindell.

She said that Warren said he was going home so she thought he was going home to feed his pigs and to bathe.

About an hour or so later she got the dreadful news that her boyfriend of two years was shot and was being rushed to hospital, fighting for his life.

Arrindell is now left to ponder painfully on his death and lament the miscarriage that she recently had.

“I was making a baby for him. That would have been a part of him I would have had now,” she said.

At around 2:50 p.m., relatives of Warren got the news that the efforts of the doctors at the MCMH failed, as he succumbed to his injuries.

“I know him as a friendly person. He was always… working hard, always giving to people,” said Warren’s adopted sister, Wendy Bailey.

Warren was adopted by Bailey’s late mother when his mother died when he was just two weeks old.

“These days it is best to live close to God… Every death happens for a reason, but I am very sad,” Bailey told SEARCHLIGHT.

Up to press time police were still carrying out their investigation into the matter.(KJ)