From the Courts
January 5, 2018
Man gets arrested twice for using foul language

A hard of hearing individual got caught by a police officer not once, but twice, in the use of foul language at a popular eatery last Saturday.

Amara Phillips was charged before the Kingstown Magistrate’s Court this Wednesday with the use of indecent language in a public place, this place being Phoenix Kitchen, on December 23.

Phillips pleaded guilty to using the obscene language and the court then heard the statement of the arresting officer.

At around noon, PC Pompey was said to be at Phoenix restaurant on personal business when the defendant came and joined the line behind him. Phillips was apparently using many rude words in his speech, which caused the officer to turn around, identify himself and ask Phillips to cease and desist.

The defendant replied to this by saying that this is a free country and suggesting to the officer that he should clean up his own home before he cleans up the country. When he refused to stop, Phillips was then taken to the police station, where he apologized for his actions.

However, when he was released, the defendant allegedly returned to Phoenix restaurant and started misbehaving again. The same officer who had arrested Phillips on the first occasion also returned to Phoenix restaurant and seeing the defendant’s behaviour, spoke to him once more. Phillips then said, “Wey de mudda c**nt does do them dey”.

The anxious defendant spoke up afterwards, saying that he did not know the man was a police officer and that he only returned to the restaurant because he had left his food behind.

Magistrate Bertie Pompey then addressed the defendant, saying that he must have known the PC was an officer, because they have to identify themselves as police, and that the offence was an offence, regardless of whether he said it to anyone on the street or a member of the constabulary.

“You were spoken to and you found yourself back at the restaurant committing offences,” the magistrate admonished.

“You really deserve a prison sentence for this, you know.”

He continued, saying that when you get the facts it’s really aggravating and “you went back for the food and you went back cussing.”

Phillips tried to interject a few times while the magistrate was speaking, which caused Pompey to have to say “We are not arguing here,” and remind him that he had pleaded guilty.

However, the magistrate chose to fine Phillips $300 instead, which he managed to pay after court, just before the prison transport was about to leave with him inside of it; he therefore did not have to spend the three months in jail that he would have had to, had he not been able to pay.

Presumably Phillips was pleased with the outcome, as he started humming when he sat in the prisoners’ bay after sentencing.(KR)