From the Courts
August 11, 2017
Union Island man wants justice for slain father

Jason Alexander wants justice for his slain father.

Jason’s father, Lawrence Alexander, 72, died at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital (MCMH) last Saturday, August 5.  

Lawrence, from Clifton, Union Island, died as

the result of a head injury he sustained on July 25, 2017 on Union Island. Reports are that he was struck in the head with a stool during a dispute at Hector McTair’s bar in Clifton.

Speaking to SEARCHLIGHT on Wednesday via telephone from Union Island, Jason said that his father received what became a fatal blow at about 8.30 p.m. on the fateful day. He said that his father was involved in an argument with a man from mainland St Vincent at the time he was struck, but he is not sure what the argument was about.

“I feel sad; he was cool, loving, friendly, a person who loved to talk and give lots of jokes… he was well known in the community,” said Jason, who added, “it’s pretty sad; he been through so much and live to be 72 and it hard to see him go that way.”

Jason revealed that his father, a retired boat captain, had six children.

“What could transpire for someone to hit an old man like that?” questioned the bereaved man, who is of the opinion that persons a t the scene should have stopped the incident before it escalated.

On July 31, Rudolph Andrews appeared before Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne-Matthias at the Serious Offences Court, where he was charged that on July 25, 2017 at Union Island, he caused grievous bodily harm to Lawrence Alexander, under Section 173 of the criminal code of St Vincent and the Grenadines.

But now, Andrews, 32, of Campden Park is expected to appear at the Serious Offences Court next Monday, August 14, in relation to the death of the 72-year-old. Last Monday August 7, Andrews was remanded for seven days, pending an amendment of his earlier charge.

He had not been given bail for the grievous bodily harm charge because of Lawrence’s condition at the ICU of the MCMH where he was warded, not being able to move his body below the neck.