From the Courts
February 7, 2017
Another suspect charged in armed robbery

A resident of Glen, who now joins two teenage boys in being charged in connection with a daring daylight robbery in Kingstown on January 30, was remanded in police custody last Friday.

When he appeared before Chief Magistrate Rechanne Browne-Matthias, Dennis Richardson, 23, was charged that on January 30, 2016 at Kingstown, being armed with a gun, robbed Dwight Ryan of Choppins of one black bag valued at $35 that contained EC$34,700 in cash, along with three cheques valued at EC$2,165, a total value of EC$36,950, the property of PH Veira and Co Ltd.

He was also charged with possession of a firearm with intent to commit an offence.

Richardson was charged indictably, so he was not required to plead.

Although the two 15-year-old boys who also face these charges in connection with the robbery were granted bail last Thursday, prosecutor Elgin Richards objected to Richardson’s bail.

Richards told the court that after the offence was committed, Richardson travelled as far as Mayreau and is a flight risk. He further disclosed that firearm used in the robbery has still not been recovered. Richards told the court that investigations are continuing into the matter and the Crown is of the view that Richardson would interfere with the witnesses.

However, Richardson’s lawyer Ronald Marks argued that his client was working in Mayreau at his girlfriend’s family’s restaurant and bar at the time of the incident.

Marks asserted that no allegations were made against the 15-year-old boys with regard to being flight risks and it is unfair for them to be offered bail while his client is remanded.

Instead, he requested that his client have daily reporting conditions and surrender all of his travel documents.

The request was not heeded by the Chief Magistrate, who disagreed with Marks, stating that Richardson is more liable to flee than the teenagers.

She ordered that the Glen resident be remanded into custody until Friday, February 10, 2017 when he would reappear before the court for bail review.

It was reported that last week that two male employees of PH Veira and Company Ltd, one with a bag containing cash and another who accompanied him, were walking between vehicles parked outside the entrance of FirstCaribbean International Bank when the robbery occurred.

According to reports, two males approached the employees; one pointed a gun at the employee who had the bag with the cash and demanded that he hand it over. The other robber grabbed the bag and the two males escaped. (AS)