From the Courts
March 18, 2016
Sheldon Bain sentenced to 80 years in prison

Sheldon Bain, popularly known as “Dutch,” has been sentenced to 80 years in prison in Grenada.{{more}}

After spending 11 years in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) as a fugitive from justice, the 36-year-old was sentenced for the role he played in the October 8, 2002 shooting death of trafficker Omelia Roberts of Belmont in St George’s, Grenada.

According to MTV News, Bain, along with three others – Kenton Phillip, Elvon Barry and Zoyd Clement – were jointly charged with intentionally causing the death of Roberts, who was in her early fifties when she lost her life.

All four accused were indicted for murder on May 26, 2003 and convicted by a 12-member jury on April 7, 2004.

The sentencing was set for June 25, 2004, but a few days earlier, Dutch managed to escape from the Richmond Hill Prison and fled the country for neighbouring SVG.

The notorious Dutch soon found himself in trouble with authorities there and within months, was indicted for murder in four cases – Livingston Primus of Sion Hill in August 2004; the November 2004 murder of taxi operator Peter ‘Kazaman’ Joseph and the December 2004 murders of Redemption Sharpes couple Rose Claire Dupont Williams and Jeffrey “Lancy” Williams.

Bain was jointly charged with Webster Woodley for the murders of Primus and Joseph, and solely in relation to the Williams couple, who incidentally were Woodley’s parents.

On October 22, 2015, at the High Court’s Criminal Assizes, Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Colin Williams discontinued the charges against Bain in relation to the Williams couple.

Bain had also been freed of the Peter Joseph murder charge earlier last year, but Woodley, with whom he had been jointly charged, was convicted and sentenced to 25 years in prison in that matter.

The Primus murder case is still pending before the court.

After being freed in relation to three of the murder charges, Bain was handed over to law enforcement officials in Grenada in November 2015. Last Friday, March 11, a high court judge sentenced him to 80 years in jail.