From the Courts
October 30, 2015
Lowmans Leeward resident guilty of manslaughter

Lowmans Leeward resident Roderick Alexander will be sentenced on November 30 for causing the death of David “Dave” Williams, 35, cart operator of Block 2000.{{more}}

At the Criminal Assizes of the High Court on October 22, a 12-member jury found Alexander not guilty of murder, but guilty of the lesser count of manslaughter.

Williams, a cart operator of Block 2000, succumbed to a wound to the left side of his abdomen on March 11, 2013, after being stabbed two days before, in the vicinity of Tony’s Pizza on Grenville Street, Kingstown.

According to the facts, sometime after 8 p.m. on March 9, the deceased was hanging out close to an icebox vendor at the corner of Melville and Grenville streets, drinking what appeared to be strong rum.

The court heard that Alexander approached the deceased and told him to get up from the bench on which he was seated.

Williams did not move.

Alexander is said to have sat on the bench and when he got up, his cellular phone fell into a nearby drain. He then wiped the phone in the deceased’s shirt, which led to an argument between the two. The deceased eventually left the scene, followed by Alexander about 10 to 15 minutes later.

Alexander is said to have encountered the deceased in the area of Tony’s Pizza, a short distance away and one witness told the court that Alexander held Williams by his shirt, threw him on a car, pulled away a chain he was wearing and struck him in his face.

In a police interview, Alexander said he was trying to get the chain out of the deceased’s hands.

He said he pulled a scissors from his pocket and stabbed the deceased.

In his defense, he said he saw Williams hiding behind some cars, holding the chain. He added that he did not want to turn his back on the deceased, since they had been engaged in an argument a while before. Alexander stated that he went towards Williams, after which the stabbing incident took place.

After he was stabbed, Williams staggered into the main road and was struck by an oncoming vehicle. He was subsequently taken to the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital (MCM), where he later died.

Alexander was represented by counsel Ronald Marks and Israel Bruce.

Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Colin Williams led the case for the crown. Crown counsel Karim Nelson appeared with him.(KW)