From the Courts
May 30, 2014
Largo Heights resident guilty of robbing student at gunpoint

A man of Largo Heights, who placed a gun to the head of a student and relieved her of a gold chain, was on Monday placed on a suspended one-year prison sentence.{{more}}

Magistrate Rechanne Browne-Matthias found Desmond Browne, 37, guilty of the charges of damage to a pair of earphones and theft of a gold chain and pendant, the property of Nadia Francis, a student of the St Vincent and the Grenadines Community College.

Browne was ordered to pay compensation of $30 forthwith for the earphones or spend two weeks in prison. He was further fined $200 to be paid by May 30, 2014 or spend one month in jail.

For theft of the gold chain and pendant, Browne was ordered to pay compensation of $2,150 by June 25, 2014 or spend eight months in jail.

During the trial, the girl stated that shortly after 11 a.m. on March 26, 2014, she was walking in the vicinity of the old Electoral Office building with her earphones in her ears, when she observed Browne walking some distance behind her.

“When I looked back, I saw something in his hands and then he placed the object behind his back…,” Francis told the court.

The student said she paid the man no mind and continued on her journey. After a short while, Browne appeared in front of her and placed a gun at her head.

“He snatched the chain from around my neck, which had a gold ring on it,” Francis recalled.

She said after snatching the items, Browne ran in the direction of the Postal Corporation.

“I screamed as he ran off. Everyone that was walking in front came to where I was,” Francis added.

She said she was subsequently taken to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID).

Francis also said persons who were in the area chased her attacker.

Attorney Israel Bruce, during cross examination, told Francis that she had told the police in a statement that it is unlikely that she would be able to identify the person.

“Yes, your honour. I know this man robbed me on March 26,” Francis replied.

Bruce further stated that she had made no mention of a gun being placed to her head in the statement she gave to police.

Francis, in response, stated that what she said in court is what she told police.

In his testimony, Browne told the court that he was never at the scene, but was at home at the time of the incident. He said he was hanging out at Rose Place when police took him up.

Station Sergeant John Ballah led the case for the prosecution.(KW)