Youth 20, two 15-year-olds, arrested  in connection with school robbery
From the Courts
April 5, 2013

Youth 20, two 15-year-olds, arrested in connection with school robbery

Three youngsters of Rockies appeared before the Serious Offences Court on Wednesday, in connection with a brazen daylight robbery that took place at the Dorsetshire Hill Government School on March 27, 2013.{{more}}

Twenty-year-old Enoch George and two 15-year-old boys were jointly charged with robbing Shelly-Ann Greaves, 30, a teacher of Dorsetshire Hill of a Samsung cellular phone, valued at $100, an $80 red and black purse containing EC$785 and some documents.

The young men were also not allowed to plea to assaulting Greaves, Shineka Gibson, 20, secretary of Dorsetshire Hill and Severne Gibson, 30, cook of Dorsetshire Hill.

They were granted $5000 composite bail when they appeared in court on Wednesday.

It is alleged that at about 11 a.m. on March 27, three males stormed the school with knives, demanding money from some of the teachers.

It is further alleged that the perpetrators entered through the back of the building at the kitchen.

SEARCHLIGHT understands that some of the teachers were also manhandled by the assailants.

In court, the teenage boys said they no longer attend school and one even said he lives on his own.

However, both parents for the 15-year-old who said he lives on his own were present in court on Wednesday.

The father of one of the boys said his son was giving trouble at school and he thought that he would keep him home for a week.

He, however, said that his son had stopped going to school all together. He said his son loves his “own way”.

The cases were adjourned to August 5 and 6.

Asked whether he would get his son to come to court when the trial commences, the father said “I will bring him here, even if it means breaking his hands and foot.”

Chief Magistrate Sonya Young, however, warned him not to do that.

For their bail conditions, the trio were ordered not to go within a 100 yards of the primary school.

They were ordered to report to the Central Police Station on Mondays. However, Young said she did not want the 15-year-olds reporting to the station, so she ordered that their parents do so on their behalf.

They were also placed on a 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. curfew.

After hearing the hours of curfew, the father asked the court if his son’s curfew could be increased to 24 hours instead.

The chief magistrate chuckled and told him no. (KW)