Searchlight Logo
special_image

    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
    • News
      • Front Page
      • News
      • Breaking News
      • Press Release
      • Features
      • Special Features
      • From the Courts
      • Sports
      • Regional / World
    • Opinions
      • Editorial
      • Our Readers’ Opinions
      • Bassy – Love Vine
      • Dr. Fraser- Point of View
      • R. Rose – Eye of the Needle
      • On Target
      • Dr Jozelle Miller
      • The World Around Us
      • Random Thoughts
    • Advice
      • Kitchen Corner
      • What’s on Fleek this week
      • Health Wise
      • Physician’s Weekly
      • Business Buzz
      • Hey Rosie!
      • Prime the pump
    • ePaper
    • Obituaries
      • In Memoriam / Acknowledgement
      • Tribute
    • Contact Us
      • Advertise With Us
      • Letters To The Editor
      • General Contact Information
      • Contact our Webmaster
    • About Us
      • Privacy Policy
      • Interactive Media Ltd
      • St. Vincent & the Grenadines
    • Subscribe
Judges deny application  for another adjournment of Leigertwood-Octave tribunal
From the Courts
March 28, 2013

Judges deny application for another adjournment of Leigertwood-Octave tribunal

An application for another adjournment of the Directions Hearing of the tribunal investigating whether Justice Ianthea Leigertwood-Octave ought to be removed as a judge of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court has been refused.{{more}}

In a ruling dated March 11, the justices of the tribunal, Humphrey Stollmeyer, Karl Harrison and Norma Wade-Miller said they were not convinced of the need for the adjournment, nor of the merits of the application.

On February 27, the tribunal had adjourned the date for the Directions Hearing to April 3, as a result of an application by Nicole Sylvester, Counsel for Justice Leigertwood-Octave.

The members of the tribunal said that on March 7, they received a written application, for a further adjournment of the Directions Hearing, from Sylvester.

The reason given for requesting the further adjournment was that Sylvester was “…unable to attend, due to medical reasons”. The ruling says that in the letter, Sylvester goes on to say that after the sitting of the tribunal on February 27, she had “… learnt that [she] will have to undergo some medicals with [her son]”. She also sets out that her client “… is in the process of retaining other possible Counsel, who would also not be available at date slated for the hearing”.

Sylvester requested an adjournment to after April 11.

According to the ruling from the tribunal, Sylvester had, on February 28, told counsel to the tribunal Reginald Armour S.C, that she had applied for an adjournment on the ground that she had already arranged to accompany her son to a swimming competition, as part of his training for the 2014 Olympic Games in Brazil.

However, Sylvester submitted a letter on March 8, retracting the letter of March 7. In addition to correcting the date fixed for the adjourned hearing, Sylvester, in the March 8 letter, added reasons for requesting the further adjournment.

“More particularly, I will be unavailable from 2nd April to the 8th April, 2013, so as to facilitate follow-ups subsequent to the medical procedures,” Sylvester said in the letter.

The ruling said that when Sylvester had first spoken with counsel for the tribunal on February 26, she had indicated that she would need an adjournment of about three weeks. She also said then, that she wished to make certain “requests” of the tribunal, but declined to indicate what they were.

At the sitting of the tribunal on February 27, the justices had directed that the “requests” be lodged by e-mail with the Tribunal Secretariat by March 25, 2013, together with a detailed note of the reasons for the requests.

The ruling also states that Sylvester has not given any indication of who the alternative Counsel is, nor what date or dates may give rise to difficulty for that other Counsel.

“The matter before the Tribunal is not to be regarded as ordinary run-of-the-mill litigation or inquiry. It is a matter of the utmost seriousness and concern to Justice Leigertwood-Octave, the Judiciary of the Eastern Caribbean, and the administration of justice throughout the multiple jurisdictions of the Eastern Caribbean. It is a matter of both great interest and concern to the public in these jurisdictions, and is also a matter of such importance that it requires both priority and expedition in its hearing and disposal,” the ruling said.

The tribunal said the hearing on April 3 is “for the purpose of the Tribunal giving Directions for the hearing of the evidence, and any preliminary applications that might properly be made”.

They, however, said that having given full consideration to the application and the reasons underlying it being made, “We do not require that there be a hearing, nor that there be input from Mr Armour”.

The justices therefore ruled that, given the nature of the hearing, the need for expedition, Justice Leigterwood-Octave’s acceptance of that need and acceptance that alternative Counsel may need to be retained if Sylvester is not available; “the varying, if not contradictory reasons given for the further adjournment; and now the unspecified and unsupported medical testing to be done; we are not inclined to grant the adjournment”.

The tribunal was appointed by Chief Justice of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court Janice M. Pereira on December 7, 2012.

The instruments of appointment say the members of the tribunal will investigate whether Justice Leigertwood-Octave ought to be removed from office for “repeated long and persistent failure” in the period from conclusion of trials between 2006 and 7th December 2012 to deliver written reasons/judgements in matters over which she presided “within a reasonable time or at all”.

According to the instruments, written judgements have been outstanding or delayed for periods in excess of one year, to as much as seven years.

Leigertwood-Octave is a Vincentian, who was appointed as a High Court Judge in 2006.

  • FacebookComments
  • ALSO IN THE NEWS
    Gov’t to pay bonuses by January30
    Front Page
    Gov’t to pay bonuses by January30
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    THE DR. GODWIN FRIDAY administration will be making bonus payments to an estimated 12,000 public workers, and that money will be paid by Friday, Janua...
    Opposition Leader writes to Speaker on questions she deems inadmissible
    Front Page
    Opposition Leader writes to Speaker on questions she deems inadmissible
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    LEADER OFTHE OPPOSITION Dr. Ralph Gonsalves has written to the Speaker of the House of Assembly, Ronnia Durham-Balcombe, concerning her ruling of the ...
    Workers frustrating resumption of Covid-dismissed workers, says PM
    Front Page
    Workers frustrating resumption of Covid-dismissed workers, says PM
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    SOME GOVERNMENT workers are making it hard for people who were fired under the COVID-19 vaccine mandate to return to work, and this is unacceptable, P...
    Woman overcomes spotty school attendance, graduates university
    Front Page
    Woman overcomes spotty school attendance, graduates university
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    A YOUNG VINCENTIAN, who was unable to attend both primary and secondary school on a regular basis due to financial difficulties, has overcome the odds...
    Government to close Milton Cato Memorial Hospital
    Front Page
    Government to close Milton Cato Memorial Hospital
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    MINISTER OF HEALTH, Daniel Cummings, has lauded the health infrastructure in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), and disclosed that the New Democrati...
    SVG Cadets plan virtual reunion as part of 90th anniversary activities
    Front Page
    SVG Cadets plan virtual reunion as part of 90th anniversary activities
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    THE STVINCENT ANDTHE Grenadines (SVG) Cadet Corps plans to engage with former members, and host a stakeholder reunion as part of year-long activities ...
    News
    Grimble Hall demolished, new structure being erected
    News
    Grimble Hall demolished, new structure being erected
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    All refurbishment work on Grimble Hall at Girls’ High School (GHS) Grimble has ceased and the building demolished due to structural and other concerns...
    Unemployed persons could receive a benefit from the NIS
    News
    Unemployed persons could receive a benefit from the NIS
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    UNEMPLOYED PERSONS in St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG), may be able to receive benefits from the National Insurance Services (NIS) at some point in...
    Vincentian found hanging in Antigua
    News
    Vincentian found hanging in Antigua
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    VINCENTIAN, MICHAELIA RENEISHA WILLIAMS, a woman who was described by her neighbours as quiet and reserved, was said to be found hanging in her Jennin...
    Opposition leader prepared to don his legal gown again
    News
    Opposition leader prepared to don his legal gown again
    Webmaster 
    January 27, 2026
    OPPOSITION LEADER Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, has made known that he still has a license to practice law, and he does not have a problem going to court to de...
    Covid dismissed workers given deadline – backpay deferred pending review
    News
    Covid dismissed workers given deadline – backpay deferred pending review
    Webmaster 
    January 23, 2026
    PUBLIC SERVANTS who were dismissed for refusing to take the COVID-19 vaccine will not be allowed to return to their jobs after January 30, 2026. And, ...

    E-EDITION
    ePaper
    google_play
    app_store
    Subscribe Now
    • Interactive Media Ltd. • P.O. Box 152 • Kingstown • St. Vincent and the Grenadines • Phone: 784-456-1558 © Copyright Interactive Media Ltd.. All rights reserved.
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.Ok