From the Courts
October 8, 2010
Jordan pleads not guilty to rape of 70-year-old woman

Calvin Jordan will soon find out the verdict in a case in which he is accused of raping a 73-year-old woman almost three years ago.{{more}}

Jordan of Owia pleaded not guilty to one count of rape on Wednesday, October 6, 2010, at the Criminal Assizes.

The woman, who was 70 at the time of the incident, gave chilling testimony of what took place on September 17, 2007 at her home.

The woman, who walks with the assistance of a cane, used a stool to sit throughout her testimony. She said she was at home early in the morning when a young man came into her yard and asked to use her outside toilet. “He called me by name and I asked how he knew my name, because I had never seen him before,” she recounted. She said Jordan told her that they shared the same name and they might even be related.

She said Jordan told her that someone told him to ask her to use her facility. After using the toilet, the woman said Jordan indicated that he was hungry and would like a cup of tea. She said she and her daughter were sitting at the front door when they invited him inside for the tea.

The elderly woman told the court that she sent her daughter for a pack of biscuits a short distance from her house, but Jordan said he did not want the biscuit, so he only drank the tea.

She said that Jordan told her that he only had Euros on his person and wanted to borrow five dollars from her. “He wanted five dollars, but I couldn’t afford it, so I asked the neighbour for three dollars to lend him,” she indicated.

Less than 15 minutes after the woman’s daughter left, she said Jordan grabbed her by the hands and pushed her on the bed and had sex with her. “…He held me by my throat and say he want some sex now and I told him no, don’t do that,” she recalled.

The woman said she cried for help, but no one came to her assistance. She also said that Jordan had sex with her for about three minutes.

“After he done, he said he was going into town and asked me if I wanted anything, so I kept saying no over and over, but he kept asking me so I said I wanted some fish,” she said.

After Jordan left, the woman said she showered and cried because she felt ashamed about what had happened.

On September 25, 2007, the woman said she saw Jordan again outside of her gate. He said good morning to her. “I didn’t answer, because I was frightened he would come and rape me again. So after he left, I went inside and called the police,” she said.

Asked why she never told anyone of the event that transpired on September 17, the woman replied, “I was too ashamed to tell anyone.”

The case continues today and will hear testimony from approximately five more witnesses.

Jordan is unrepresented and the crown’s case is led by Director of Public Prosecutions Colin Williams, who is assisted by Carl Williams, Sejilla McDowall and Colin John.(KW)