From the Courts
February 6, 2009
‘I told alyo to get rid of the gun a long time ago’

The final prosecution witness in the Drexel Andrews manslaughter case was expected to take the stand yesterday.

Andrews, 19, was charged for causing the death of Franko “Ozo” Roberts on March 7, 2007, at Glen. Roberts died as a result of a single gunshot wound to the head.{{more}}

A total of eight witnesses have already given evidence in the matter, which started on Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, at the High Court, as the Criminal Assizes rolled on.

Prosecution witness Jean Blucher told the court that she was at her home around 7: 30 a.m. when she heard a loud bang from the nearby house where Roberts lived. Blucher said she went over to the house and went into the bedroom where Roberts was, only to meet the accused holding Roberts’ head in his lap as he sat motionless on the ground. The witness then asked the accused Andrews what had happened and he replied: “Ozo get shoot. Ozo get shoot!’’ He never told her how Roberts got shot.

Blucher said she then lifted the deceased on one of the two beds in the bedroom and tried holding up his head. She said she noticed the youngster was breathing so she ran for help.

Blucher added that she went back and sat on the bed holding Roberts until help came. She also mentioned that one of the neigbours who came in the house after the incident took place said: “I told alyo to get rid of the gun a long time ago”. Roberts was pronounced dead on arrival at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital.

While visiting the scene, Investigating Officer Corporal 281 Winston Maloney said that Andrews told him that he and the deceased were alone in the bedroom that morning while his cousins were outside in the living room watching television. Andrews said that they were both playing with a gun and Franco was demonstrating how to operate the weapon. Maloney went onto say that Andrews told him that he was recording the Roberts’ demonstration on his cellular camera phone. He added that he went to the door to see if anyone was coming when he heard a gunshot go off. When Andrews turned around, he saw Roberts lying on the bed with a bleeding wound from his head. Maloney also discovered one black nine-millimeter pistol on one of the beds next to a pillow.

In a caution statement by Andrews, he told Corporal Maloney that Roberts had brought home the weapon the night before and told him to hold it until the morning. Andrews said he placed the gun in a suitcase under the bed. The following morning Roberts went for the gun and some bullets and told Andrews to record a video with him and the gun. Andrews added that he had turned his back to Roberts while re-playing the video when he heard the gunshot. He disclosed that he turned around, saw Roberts lying on the bed but thought that he was playing.

“I think he been playing, so I checked to see and try hold him up but he was wasn’t responding,” said Andrews in the statement.

Andrews told the officer that he did not see how Roberts got shot and that he never shot the deceased.

Attorney Ronald Marks represents Andrews in the matter, while Director of Public Prosecutions Colin Williams leads the case for the crown.